Who named us Hindus?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
'Hapta-Hendu' theory is the oldest on record. Perhaps the word is older than coming of Aryans in India. Just think how Aryans in Central Asia, Iran and Afghanistan would refer to India. 'Sindhu' was their word for ocean/river. So, it is not even Zoroastrians who named us as Hindu. It must have been the Arians of Ariana, who would address us in this way.
My conclusion: We were named 'Saindhavas' - 'Sindhu-vasis' by Aryans themselves. We should not simmer by thinking that the Muslims or the British gave us this name.

Inhabitants of Ariana:

The tribes by whom Ariana was inhabited, as enumerated by Strabo were:
Arachoti; Arii; Bactrians; Drangae; Gedrosii; Paropamisadae; Parthians; Persians; Sogdians.

Pliny (vi. 25) specifies the following tribes:
Angutturi; Arii; the inhabitants of Daritis; Dorisci; Drangae; Evergetae; Gedrussi; Ichthyophagi; Methorici; Pasires; Urbi; Zarangae.
Ariana - Wikipedia

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
'Hapta-Hendu' theory is the oldest on record. Perhaps the word is older than coming of Aryans in India. Just think how Aryans in Central Asia, Iran and Afghanistan would refer to India. 'Sindhu' was their word for ocean/river. So, it is not even Zoroastrians who named us as Hindu. It must have been the Arians of Ariana, who would address us in this way.
My conclusion: We were named 'Saindhavas' - 'Sindhu-vasis' by Aryans themselves.

We should not simmer by thinking that the Muslims or the British gave us this name.

No, you should simmer because of that , as it was the Zoroastrians that gave you that name.

If the 'Aryans' in Central Asia called the region and the people Hindu (or some variation of that ), the word would have come with them and entered Sanskrit.... which it didn't .

If the earliest mention of the word was from 'Aryans' in Central Asia , what is that source ? Is it in the Avesta ? if so , that is Zoroastrian .

But yes, Zoroastrians are considered Aryans , so yes , Aryan (Zoroastrian)s came up with the name .

...... unless you can show an earlier source than the Avesta, that mentions the name .

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
My conclusion: We were named 'Saindhavas' - 'Sindhu-vasis' by Aryans themselves. We should not simmer by thinking that the Muslims or the British gave us this name.

Inhabitants of Ariana:

The tribes by whom Ariana was inhabited, as enumerated by Strabo were:
Arachoti; Arii; Bactrians; Drangae; Gedrosii; Paropamisadae; Parthians; Persians; Sogdians.

Pliny (vi. 25) specifies the following tribes:
Angutturi; Arii; the inhabitants of Daritis; Dorisci; Drangae; Evergetae; Gedrussi; Ichthyophagi; Methorici; Pasires; Urbi; Zarangae.
Ariana - Wikipedia

I don't know why you keep bringing this up, but neither the word Sindhu (the original word used by the Aryas i.e. Vedic people) nor that distorted word Hindu of Avestan were used to describe the people. The rest you posted is totally irrelevant.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Specul8: I don't, but some people do. They do not even accept themselves to be Hindus, that is why 'Sanatan Dharma'. :)
Aatreya: I bring up this because that is the subject I am interested in. I am not interested in finding the longest lasting dynasty in India or any other subject. :)

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
Specul8: I don't, but some people do. They do not even accept themselves to be Hindus, that is why 'Sanatan Dharma'. :)
Aatreya: I bring up this because that is the subject I am interested in. I am not interested in finding the longest lasting dynasty in India or any other subject. :)
Sure you like it, but facts do not make you happy. There were no Central Asian Aryans, forget that. Certainly Zarathustra and his followers did not call us Hindus.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
No, you should simmer because of that , as it was the Zoroastrians that gave you that name.

If the 'Aryans' in Central Asia called the region and the people Hindu (or some variation of that ), the word would have come with them and entered Sanskrit.... which it didn't .

If the earliest mention of the word was from 'Aryans' in Central Asia , what is that source ? Is it in the Avesta ? if so , that is Zoroastrian .

But yes, Zoroastrians are considered Aryans , so yes , Aryan (Zoroastrian)s came up with the name .

...... unless you can show an earlier source than the Avesta, that mentions the name .
Sapta Sindhu is referred as Hapta Hindu in Avesta. Sapta Sindhu which means land of the 7 rivers (North-West India and Eastern Pakistan) is referred as the earliest homeland of Vedic people.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Sure you like it, but facts do not make you happy. There were no Central Asian Aryans, forget that. Certainly Zarathustra and his followers did not call us Hindus.
See 'Ariana' in the little map that I included or check on Google images. As late as 325 BC (Alex's time), it was known as Ariana and one of the tribes inhabiting it were (to the Greeks), Arii. 'Hapta-Hendu' is mentioned in the first Fargard of Vendidad, and is perhaps old material (like Genesis in Bible). Facts do make me happy, not chauvinism.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Origin of the word Hindu (Sindu) most likely is pre-historic and therefore obscure. So chasing its origin is kind of a futile effort. Finding who had used it first in some decipherable form is only half the story, since by then the word would already been ancient. Most likely the word could somehow be connected to some word Indian natives had commonly used among themselves in ancient pre-historic times.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Please show the source to back up your claim and stop your usual diversions like the above answer

If you are going from 'Aryan sources' in Central Asia and citing a text , pre Greek or Muslim, referring to Sind , Hind, Hindu or Hapta then it is Avestan and hence Zoroastrian .

Indians and India were named Hindu by Zoroastrians .

If I am wrong , cough up your source, and stop beating around the bushes .

[ Also, I see nothing wrong with the term 'Sanatan Dharma'. And I wonder why you are so keen to call yourself a name given to you by non Indian Zoroastrians ?

:confused: ]

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Sapta Sindhu is referred as Hapta Hindu in Avesta. Sapta Sindhu which means land of the 7 rivers (North-West India and Eastern Pakistan) is referred as the earliest homeland of Vedic people.
Yes, as I said, it is in the Avestas, making it a Zoroastrian designation, which the first post says it is not . But that does not seem to want to be addressed by the poster ?