Who originally said "What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"?

May 2017
Spain
I recently watched the "Gladiator" film, and there was this quote that said: "What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity".

I really liked that quote, and did some research. I found multiple answers, but the most common was that it was said by Marcus Aurelius on his "Meditations".

I have the Casaubon's 1634 translation of Meditations and I can't seem to find it there. Searched on other different versions on the internet and I still can't find it.

Can someone help me with that, please? The quote really resonates with me and I would like to find its true origin.

Thank you.

May 2011
Rural Australia
I recently watched the "Gladiator" film, and there was this quote that said: "What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity".

I really liked that quote, and did some research. I found multiple answers, but the most common was that it was said by Marcus Aurelius on his "Meditations".

I have the Casaubon's 1634 translation of Meditations and I can't seem to find it there. Searched on other different versions on the internet and I still can't find it.

Can someone help me with that, please? The quote really resonates with me and I would like to find its true origin.

Thank you.

A number of sources out there attribute a variation of this quote to Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations" .......

“What we do now echoes in eternity.”

None of these supply a reference that I have found so far. Also there are quite a few different Greek to English translations of "Meditations".

May the search continue !!!!

http://www.academia.edu/15523147/_W..._In_Eternity_The_Stoic_at_the_Moment_of_Truth

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Stranraer
It’s not a real historical quote. It was written by John Logan as the tag line for Gladiator.
Please tell me you are not serious?
It’s not a real historical quote. It was written by John Logan as the tag line for Gladiator.
Please tell me you’re not serious? It was written by Marcus Aurelius. Then used in the film. Your ignorance is staggering!

Dec 2018
Stranraer

Thank you.
It was originally written by Marcus Aurelius, in meditations. An amazing read.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Do not consider anything for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light or look the world in the face.

Marcus Aurelius

Similar History Discussions