Who was a better president: Theodore or Franklin D. Roosevelt?

Theodore Roosevelt vs Franklin D. Roosevelt

• Theodore Roosevelt

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
While both were too progressive for my liking, and although there are many things FDR did that I strongly oppose, I have to admit he saw the nation through the most challenging war for the US, the Revolutionary War excepted. So, my vote clearly goes to FDR.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
While both were too progressive for my liking, and although there are many things FDR did that I strongly oppose, I have to admit he saw the nation through the most challenging war for the US, the Revolutionary War excepted. So, my vote clearly goes to FDR.
With all due respect to FDR, the most challenging war ever faced by an American president was the American Civil War. It is one of the reasons why Lincoln usually tops the lists of the US' greatest presidents.

Sorry for veering off topic.

Sam-Nary

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
At present SD, USA
With all due respect to FDR, the most challenging war ever faced by an American president was the American Civil War. It is one of the reasons why Lincoln usually tops the lists of the US' greatest presidents.

Troubling wars can be a hard thing to measure. Lincoln faced a greater war that was purely American in the sense that it came from within the country... but the American Civil pales before the carnage and scope of World War II. In that sense, America is lucky that most of the Axis forces were on the Eastern Front and that the US navy was able to recover from Pearl Harbor and keep Japan largely away from the US coast.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US

I agree. Somehow I forgot this one. My brain is failing me.:eek:

Aug 2016
World
Civil Wars tear your country to pieces, while a foreign war can actually unite a country. Even though he's not my personal favorite, I'll add a write-in vote for Lincoln. If I can't do that, I'll vote for Teddy for being a warrior.

HistoryFreak1912

Ad Honorem
Apr 2009
Alabama, USA
FDR. He had to basically (1) get America out of the Great Depression and (2) partake in World War II with the other Allied forces. That could not have been easy for him.

Teddy Roosevelt had it way easier than he. What great calamity did he have to deal with? Maybe some small wars brewing up here and there but not much else, correct??

Oct 2013
Illinois
According to that Roosevelt special by Ken Burns. FDR's policies he put into place to get the country out of the depression. TR came up with them during the 1912 election.

Jan 2008
Chile, Santiago
FDR was the greater President Roosevelt by an overwhelming margin. The difference in the scale of accomplishments is not even close.

Taken in all his various dimensions, Theodore was arguably a more diverse and colorful personality than his cousin. But he only possessed a fraction of Franklin's skill as a politician.