Who was a more powerful and formidable European hegemon?

Who was a more powerful and worthy European hegemon?

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
As for me, I voted for Nazi Germany due to the fact that the United States (in regards to Lend-Lease and in regards to its troops) might have been crucial in the defeat and destruction of the Nazi German regime. In contrast, the United States played absolutely no role and was certainly not crucial in the defeat and destruction of Napoleon's Empire.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, can a moderator and/or an administrator here please replace the word "worthy" in my thread title here with the word "formidable"?

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
As for me, I voted for Nazi Germany due to the fact that the United States (in regards to Lend-Lease and in regards to its troops) might have been crucial in the defeat and destruction of the Nazi German regime. In contrast, the United States played absolutely no role and was certainly not crucial in the defeat and destruction of Napoleon's Empire.
What do you mean? For both Napoleon and Hitler the the biggest reason they were defeated is because of Russia. Hitler loses extra points for having his generals research Napoleons campaign than dismissing it as "unimportant". As for which was more worthy? france all the way. Napoleonic France had a lot of goos progessive ideas about it. For the most part, the Germans just brought death and destruction. One of the few regimes I'd cal wholly evil.

EDIT

Formidable. That's a different story. That depends on how you look at it. The disparity in tech and men that could be mobilized was great and it meant the Germans did a lot more damage. On the other hand, France was at war for well over 2 decades. That's almost 4 times longer than the Germans.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What do you mean? For both Napoleon and Hitler the the biggest reason they were defeated is because of Russia. Hitler loses extra points for having his generals research Napoleons campaign than dismissing it as "unimportant". As for which was more worthy? france all the way. Napoleonic France had a lot of goos progessive ideas about it. For the most part, the Germans just brought death and destruction. One of the few regimes I'd cal wholly evil.
I am unsure that the Soviet Union could have totally defeated and destroyed Nazi Germany without U.S. Lend-Lease aid, though.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This is a tough one. They both overstretched themselves, and they both met similar fates. But I think that just the sheer speed by which the Third Reich expanded makes it a more formidable opponent.
That, along with the fact that, unlike with Napoleon, the U.S.'s involvement might have been crucial in the total defeat and destruction of the Third Reich.

Nov 2014
U.S.A Land of Liberty
Napoleon did take lots of territories and was in the height of power, but Nazi Germany took nearly all of Europe also Nazi Germany expanded its technology of Miltary to a whole new level.

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
I am unsure that the Soviet Union could have totally defeated and destroyed Nazi Germany without U.S. Lend-Lease aid, though.
I disagree. The Soviet Union would have won without it. There was a good quote about it on here. Germany was going up against a country over 30 times larger, with greater industrial strength, over twice as many people while occupying most of Europe.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I disagree. The Soviet Union would have won without it. There was a good quote about it on here. Germany was going up against a country over 30 times larger, with greater industrial strength, over twice as many people while occupying most of Europe.
Source about the greater industrial strength part, please?

As for population, you are forgetting the fact that Nazi Germany had Italy, Romania, Hungary, et cetera as allies in its fight against Russia and that Nazi Germany also occupied a lot of the populated areas in the Soviet Union in 1941.

Lee-Sensei

Ad Honorem
Aug 2012
Source about the greater industrial strength part, please?

As for population, you are forgetting the fact that Nazi Germany had Italy, Romania, Hungary, et cetera as allies in its fight against Russia and that Nazi Germany also occupied a lot of the populated areas in the Soviet Union in 1941.
Most of which didn't have the training or equipment to fight that war successfuly and many of them weren't even available.