Who was an important Spartan person while the Peloponnesian War was going on?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
I'm looking for an important Spartan male who was crucial for the war and who had a son (or more sons/daughters).
It could be a general for example.

I'm using this for a book I'm planning to make.

Thanks in advance.
I'm curious. What is the book going to be about?

Feb 2019
California
We know Brasidas had children because there were people alive during the time of Augustus who claimed decent from him....also he wouldn't have been allowed to leave the Pelopennesia unless he had heirs (Spartan rule...why the 300 were all fathers of living sons).

Did Alcibiades have progeny? He was on the Spartan side for awhile.

Nov 2011
The Bluff
Did Alcibiades have progeny? He was on the Spartan side for awhile.
Plutarch, Alcibiades, 1.4:

And Archippus, ridiculing the son of Alcibiades, says: "He walks with utter wantonness, trailing his long robe behind him, that he may be thought the very picture of his father, yes,

He slants his neck awry, and overworks the lisp

Reactions: bedb
Sep 2014
Texas
That was due to the nature of the mission: they were not expected to return from what was a suicide mission, those selected had to have successors. If that were true, Sparta will have had the bugger of a time finding 5,000 homoioi for Plataia.
Not true. As it became apparent that some men just weren't going to have sons, they changed the rule to allow women to be heirs. This is what got Aristotle's panties in a knot.

Nov 2011
The Bluff
"...ridiculing the son of Alcibiades ..."

That would appear pretty self explanatory.

Last edited:
Nov 2011
The Bluff
Not true. As it became apparent that some men just weren't going to have sons, they changed the rule to allow women to be heirs. This is what got Aristotle's panties in a knot.
Aristotle defined Sparta's problem as oliganthropy. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the 300 chosen to accompany Leonidas on a suicide mission. There was no law which prevented sonless homoioi serving outside the Peloponnese; such will have crippled the Spartan forces. The logic is a nonsense: homoioi could die just as easily at Mantinea in 418; at Nemea River in 396; Sphacteria in 425 as they did at Tanagra in 458. On this logic, all 5,000 homoioi at Plataia were married with sons. Ditto every army of invasion of the Peloponnesian War.

Sep 2014
Texas
Aristotle defined Sparta's problem as oliganthropy. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the 300 chosen to accompany Leonidas on a suicide mission. There was no law which prevented sonless homoioi serving outside the Peloponnese; such will have crippled the Spartan forces. The logic is a nonsense: homoioi could die just as easily at Mantinea in 418; at Nemea River in 396; Sphacteria in 425 as they did at Tanagra in 458. On this logic, all 5,000 homoioi at Plataia were married with sons. Ditto every army of invasion of the Peloponnesian War.
The three hundred were chosen all fathers of living sons so that no name would die out. When the war became more all encompassing they changed the rules...*shrugs* I don't understand what has you so upset.
The Spartans were encouraged to breed, hence laws protecting unmarried girls who found themselves pregnant and Spartan males marrying at a young age. If you want fame and glory, you know what you needed to do.