Who was more powerful, Catherine de Medici or Elizabeth I?

Sep 2013
Ireland
Those costumes or clothes that they are wearing are amazing. I mean the presentation of Queen Elizabeth 1 really was something. I'd say she was England's finest monarch by a mile. I have a feeling the cold expression on her face comes from the tightness of her corset. Must be truly painful. I'm at odds as to who was more powerful considering the differing circumstances of their existence.

Last edited:
Jun 2014
Northwest Territories (USA)
I believe that Elizabeth I was a more powerful monarch. Under the reign of Catherine de' Medici, France devolved into a civil war that she refused to compromise on. She let the religious issues get out of hand resulting in explosive events like the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre.

Elizabeth I, on the other hand, exerted a strong hand and kept the country very stable. Under her, the Spanish Armada was sunk (though much of this is due to a roll of the die), England was put in the perfect position to begin expanding through its colonies. Under Elizabeth, England reached a high that we now know as "Merrie Olde England."

Dec 2012
UK
Elizabeth benefited from the fact that she was a queen regnant. Catherine was only a regent for her son Charles IX and had the powerful Guise family to cope with as well.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
The fact that the period of time is named after her, the "Elizabethan Age" shows you Elizabeth I was more important. There is no "Catherine Age".

Sep 2013
Ireland
The fact that the period of time is named after her, the "Elizabethan Age" shows you Elizabeth I was more important. There is no "Catherine Age".
That's only recognised in Britain...there was no Elizabethan age for the people of Italy or anywhere else on the continent.

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
That's only recognised in Britain...there was no Elizabethan age for the people of Italy or anywhere else on the continent.
That's a fair point I wonder I wonder what other nationalists outside the Anglophone world call it or other 'ages' for that matter?

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
That's a fair point I wonder I wonder what other nationalists outside the Anglophone world call it or other 'ages' for that matter?
According to David Thomson, N.M. Sutherland and J.E. Neale it was The Age of Catherine de Medici. :cool:

Sep 2013
Ireland
Are you feeling ok Kevin...you actually said I made a fair point..I need a whiskey after that.

I don't know but I would guess that the word 'age' means the monarch was there for a considerable time or they did something great in their time worthy of calling the time period after them. They more than likely did the same thing that they did in England and called the period after whomever was in power unless it was n idea like enlightenment or something.

Aug 2012
Colorado
Man, those are two stone faced broads. Usually the French monarch would be powerful in this period, but Elizabeth was powerful because of the whole civil war thing going on in France.