Who was the most divisive President in history?

Who is the most divisive President?

• Reagan

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Nixon

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • LBJ

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • JFK

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Truman

• FDR

• Wilson

• Jackson

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Lincoln

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters
May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
No, you are unpleasant because I told you what I think of certain beliefs. Please don't demand anything of me.

Now please give us a paragraph of evidence on your Fed Reserve theory.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
No, you are unpleasant because I told you what I think of certain beliefs. Please don't demand anything of me.

This is not a forum about belief.

You are unpleasant and also possibly you have difficulty with reading comprehension.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire

You tell people they can't demand anything from you and then you immediately demand something from them?

You've been here for only as short while and I already have multiple reports about your behaviour. If you ant to continue posting here, you will treat other psoters with respect,

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs. This thread is ultimately about OPINION, formed based on fact, but opinion nonetheless.

Consider this your warning.

And to all - I had better not see anyone calling anyone else unpleasant.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Code Blue, you misspoke. Give us the 'evidence' that it was bad. We would have had Germany dominating Europe for decades without the USSR.
Why isn't going out of your way to recognize a mass-murdering maniac "bad" on its face? Why would you feed a regime that just killed or dragged to gulags 10-20 million people?. The USSR has nothing, and the US can give it everything, like help from ALCOA, GE, from FDR's friends on Wall Street, etc. Why would you build this guy up unless you want him to kill more people?
What does Germany in 1933 have to do with this decision in your great theory? FDR did not recognize the USSR in 1933 to keep then-weak Germany from dominating Europe.
In 1933, the USSR was ruled by a mass-murdering maniac, Germany was not (just a fledgling wannabe). Germany is the dominant economy in Europe today anyway.

Explain it in a paragraph, the wonderful machinations of the Rooseveltian mind, and why it was "good" to recognize Stalin.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Code Blue, you misspoke. Give us the 'evidence' that it was bad. We would have had Germany dominating Europe for decades without the USSR.
Misspoke? How so?

Evidence of "bad"? Why isn't going out of your way to recognize a mass-murdering maniac "bad" on its face? Why isn't that case-closed?
This regime just killed or dragged to gulags millions people and jokes about it.

The USSR has nothing, and the US can give it everything, like help from ALCOA, from GE, from FDR's friends on Wall Street, etc., which it got. Wouldn't common sense say - why build up a guy like this unless you want him to kill more people?
Germay? What do you imagine Germany in 1933 has to do with this decision? FDR did not recognize the USSR in 1933 to keep then-weak Germany from dominating Europe.
In 1933, the USSR was ruled by a mass-murdering maniac, Germany was not (just a fledgling wannabe). Germany is the dominant economy in Europe today anyway,.

Maybe you can explain in a paragraph, the wonderful machinations of the Rooseveltian mind, and why it was "good" to recognize Stalin.

Last edited:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
TBF, the book "Not So!: Popular Myths about America from Columbus to Clinton" claims that FDR's recognition of the USSR didn't cause an outcry in the US and that The Literary Digest reported that a majority of American newspapers supported Roosevelt's decision.

May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
My opinion is that FDR did the right thing in 1933.

Germany, once again, would certainly have dominated Europe for a long, long time without the USSR allying with UK and USA. USSR, oth, dominated Eastern Europe for almost 45 years. Tis what is.

Was Nazi Germany worse than the USSR? Yes, I think so. Does it excuse the USSR's atrocities: no.

Last edited:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
However, let's consider another possibility: perhaps FDR recognized the USSR not because he wanted to contain Germany, but Japan because unlike Germany, by 1933 Japan was openly aggressive, conquering Manchuria and withdrawing from the League of Nations.

Last edited: