Who was the most divisive President in history?

Who is the most divisive President?

• Reagan

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Nixon

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • LBJ

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • JFK

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Truman

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • FDR

• Wilson

• Jackson

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Lincoln

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • Other?

Votes: 19 18.8%

• Total voters

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
TBF, the book "Not So!: Popular Myths about America from Columbus to Clinton" claims that FDR's recognition of the USSR didn't cause an outcry in the US and that The Literary Digest reported that a majority of American newspapers supported Roosevelt's decision.
What myth? Mr. Duranty and the rest of the US propaganda machinery did a good job with creating "Uncle" Joe. They had a lot of practice. They spent the 1920s lionizing Mussolini.

Reactions: Spartakus X

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
What myth? Mr. Duranty and the rest of the US propaganda machinery did a good job with creating "Uncle" Joe. They had a lot of practice. They spent the 1920s lionizing Mussolini.
The myth of massive American uproar after FDR's recognition. It seems that American bussiness elites welcomed the move thinking it would open a huge new market and bring them immense profit. It makes sense I suppose.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
My opinion is that FDR did the right thing in 1933.
Germany, once again, would certainly have dominated Europe
So, your answer is recognizing the USSR as good because of Germano-phobia?
It "Tis what is," unless it's Germany?
I know, you mean Nazi Germany.

Was Nazi Germany worse than the USSR? Yes, I think so. Does it excuse the USSR's atrocities: no.
You are using hindsight, it seems. I would evaluate a decision upon what the decider knew, when the decision was made.

In 1933, FDR did not make a decision based on "Nazi Germany" which did not exist as such. Hitler hasn't even finished killing off the opposition yet. Night of the Long Knives is not until 1934. Also, you ARE mitigating the atrocities of Stalin. They occurred before 1933.

Your opinion doesn't work, because your object is to defend FDR, rather than connect the dots. You trying to create a safe space, by hiding behind the relatively safe shield of anti-Naziism.
----

You don't agree with FDR about moneyed-interests running the governments? Was he kidding? It's not a case of which of these two evils is the lesser, and that FDR picked the wrong one. It's that the US has no reason to build up either regime. And yet FDR helped build both of them. So what, if his public rhetoric is to one side. Back in 1933 and going forward, all three of them know what is going on.

Last edited:
May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Those are not words and are a misrepresentation of my positionl. The present-ism is not mine. Folks have their opinion about FDR, and I have minee. Some dislike FDR, and that is fine. FDR, yes, made the right decisions, imo

I do have a question for the Board. Should we have allied with either Germany or Russia or stayed out of the war and concentrated on Japan?

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Those are not words and are a misrepresentation of my positionl.
You are surely free to write a paragraph explaining how;
or explain how - by 1933 - Hitler had a "worse" record than Stalin. It was probably a mistake on my part to explain why that was wrong before hearing your theory of why it is right.

Last edited:
May 2019
Salt Lake City, Utah
Those are not my words. I am more interested in this question, "Should we have allied with either Germany or Russia or stayed out of the war and concentrated on Japan?"

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Without doubt, IMO. Might as well argue over who is a very distant second.
Well, states starting seceding before Lincoln took office. The cause was really the fact that the South was losing its king-maker role in the Union, so they threw a monumental temper tantrum and wound up comitting suicide. Great job.

Reactions: Spartakus X