Who was the most divisive President in history?

Who is the most divisive President?

• Reagan

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Nixon

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • LBJ

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • JFK

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Truman

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • FDR

• Wilson

• Jackson

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Lincoln

Votes: 47 48.5%
  • Other?

Votes: 19 19.6%

• Total voters
Jan 2014
Portugal
My poor knowledge about Jackson was the only obstacle for voting Nixon.. But then I saw Lincoln's name.. 4 years of civil war can't give room for much discussion.
Still, inside the polarized opinions North vs South there are some southerners that understand the position he defended and there was respect conceeded to him even by its enemies.
Now Nixon was - as far has I know - seen as a devil by the left. On the other side even its supporters know he was not a very good president... Lincoln is still loved today as one of the greatest americans ever.

My vote goes to Lincoln.

SirOrmondeWinter

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I would query that, Nixon was a good president who had very successful policies, it was his inner paranoia that was his downfall.

Jul 2016
Somewhere far, far away...
I would query that, Nixon was a good president who had very successful policies, it was his inner paranoia that was his downfall.
Apart from his intelligence, I found the one thing I could admire about him was that he chose pragmatism over ideology. His personal insecurities very much contributed to his downfall, but I think he was also arguably one of, if not the biggest, violators of the Constitution in spirit.

Regardless, I'll have to question the claim that Nixon had "very successful policies". The bulk of his foreign policy was concentrated on Indochina, and his efforts there were a failure and contributed massively to the fact that he accumulated by far the highest death toll of any president. I suppose he was "successful" in backing the coup against Salvador Allende, but I would consider that a mark against him myself. Honestly, aside from his dealings with China (which are overblown) and the Soviet Union, I don't think Nixon's foreign policy was very good at all. He ignored numerous mass killings and indirectly (even directly, in some cases) contributed to several himself. When factoring in the human cost of his actions/inaction, I find it considerably harder to praise Nixon's handling of things on the world stage.

At home, I could give him credit for launching cancer initiatives, establishing the EPA, continuing to desegregate southern schools and generally continuing LBJ's social policies. But he also started the disastrous war on drugs. And when inflation came along, Nixon essentially kicked the can down the road, imposing devastating wage and price controls and coupling it with raised tariffs and ending what was left of the gold standard. He effectively made the issue worse, especially for his successors (had the economy been better, Ford and Carter could well have won re-election), and if any president is to be blamed for stagflation, it'd be Nixon. As far as EPI scores go, the Nixon administration is ranked among the worst, and he doesn't have excuses like some of the other names down there do. I also read an article recently on how Nixon irreparably damaged American manufacturing. One could even trace the trend of rising debt to him (though moreso to Reagan, I think, but it's worth noting that everyone has increased the debt by 30% or more since LBJ). So economically, I'd say he was a disaster.

Last edited:

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
This is precisely the thought process that got witches burned at Salem. The weak-minded reduce people to perceptions or symbols. People of integrity try to see thecperson.
Also the same process that sealed the fate of Joan of Arc.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Lincoln was by far the most empathetic and inclusive President. This passage in his 1858 Ottawa speech is representative of his behavior as President:

That powerful forces determined to undermine Lincoln's election and create chaos in place of the acceptance of the democratic process in no way renders Lincoln "divisive." The division rests entirely on those who could not reconcile themselves to the will of the people as a whole.
Agreed.

Sep 2014
Texas
I put Lincoln because the Democrats hated him so much they started a war and ultimately killed him.
However I HATE Jackson. He was as close to a real dictator as they come and some people I love have a real heritage based on the Trail Of Tears.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Before 1991, Lincoln. After 1991, PM me if you want to know. ;)
There's no president as divisive as Lincoln post 1991 my friend. That's the beauty of history because it puts things in perspective. And there will never be another Civil War because people today are way too soft to sacrifice everything for a cause.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There's no president as divisive as Lincoln post 1991 my friend. That's the beauty of history because it puts things in perspective. And there will never be another Civil War because people today are way too soft to sacrifice everything for a cause.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Reactions: Rodger