Who was the most divisive President in history?

Who is the most divisive President?

• Reagan

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Nixon

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • LBJ

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • JFK

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Truman

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • FDR

• Wilson

• Jackson

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Lincoln

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Other?

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Fair enough, I suppose.
Hey, your entitled to your opinion. I do believe that most people have a difficult time grasping the scope of things that preceded them, versus their own lived experience. The American Civil War is one of those events, fortunately, where one can watch documentaries and read an exhaustive amount of literature. You probably know Futurist that the casualties for the Civil War (dead and wounded) exceed all other American conflicts combined. There had to be something quite divisive to cause men to die and be maimed at that level. Whatever the situations within the last generation or so, nothing rises to that level for me. But that's just my opinion.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hey, your entitled to your opinion. I do believe that most people have a difficult time grasping the scope of things that preceded them, versus their own lived experience. The American Civil War is one of those events, fortunately, where one can watch documentaries and read an exhaustive amount of literature. You probably know Futurist that the casualties for the Civil War (dead and wounded) exceed all other American conflicts combined. There had to be something quite divisive to cause men to die and be maimed at that level. Whatever the situations within the last generation or so, nothing rises to that level for me. But that's just my opinion.
Actually, I agree with you that the American Civil War and its aftermath was the second most monumental event in US history--right behind the Founding Era (which is when the US acquired its independence and wrote a constitution).

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
No 2CW will happen.

Dems sweep the House and the WH next year and a real sweep of the Senate in 2022.

By 2024, Trump and many, many of his supporters working with the Russians will be in prison.

Those who committed libel for years on the net will be paying heavy, heavy fines.
By the way, Jake, did you know contemporary politics is prohibited on this forum? I thought I would do you the courtesy to inform you.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Thanks for the tip, so I edited it.

But is that why you introduced the nonsense of a 2d Civil War? Won't happen. Let it go.
I am not the one expecting it, as I am not the one who is posting that things are currently so terrible. I don't expect one by any means. So, speaking of letting it go, take your own advice. You also missed my larger point as well, which is the lesson history teaches. It gives perspective. Our era is not always the worse. Lincoln presided over the most divisive era by far. Enjoy your time here on the forum.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Zombie thread reincarnated for a Trump bash. Goodie.

Just in case the reincarnation was for the purpose of discussing real history, I don't see John Adams on the poll. It was more of a failed attempt at divisiveness that created unprecedented unity, whereas others succeeded at apparent and so-called divisiveness without actually trying.

The Alien and Sedition Acts seemed like a shot heard 'round the nation in a Federalist coup against the Constitution, and its ultimate result was - six straight terms of Virginia Democrat Presidents (and for continuing Federalist exploits of failed divisiveness by siding with Old England in the War of 1812, and New England threatening to secede), and the Federalist Party died leaving Monroe to run unopposed in his second term.

Last edited: