Who were Cromwell's soldiers?

May 2017
France
Thank you very much.Have you the names of the huguenots please ? My family,les Dupuy Montbrun d Alais (today Ales) fought in 1629 against Louis XIII and Richelieu.After the fall of La Rochelle,helped by the duque of Buckingham,our leader, the duque Henri de Rohan de Pontivy ordered the defense of Alais.Our cousin, the baron d Assas was killed in the defense of Vézénobres;our other cousin de Tremolet de Robiac was killed in the defense of the castle of Montmoyrac- i am born in the dependance of the Astries in 1960- submerged by the royalists troops.In Privas,Alexandre Dupuy Montbrun de Saint Andre,the heroe of Montauban (1622) was submerged with his 800 men by the 25 000 men of Louis XIII.So ,attacked by the west and the east ,we retreated in the direction of Anduze.I know that some families decided to pass in the swedish army of Gustave Adolphe for fighting in Germany and that others passed in England.Our cousins Dupuy Melgueil have passed in England;two descendants of them were killed later in the battle of the Boyne,against the Irishes.At the origin,we were catholics as everybody,but our second brothers,all priests at La Charite sur Loire,met Theodore de Beze,the "Calvin of Bourgogne" and his friend the cardenal Odet de Chastillon-Coligny,who dealed with Elizbeth the treaty o Hampton Court.Odet is burried in the cathedral of Canterbury.

Jan 2012
South Midlands in Britain
Thank you very much.Have you the names of the huguenots please?
That I do not have as the only references to them in contemporary documents have been in the general sense. It would appear that other ranks were not often listed whilst officers were - never let it be said the English would pass up on an opportunity for class distinction. The main Huguenot migration to England was after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes by Louis XIV in 1685. In the main Britain benefited greatly from the Huguenot migration, but I would be grateful if you would kindly take Nigel Farage back.

Feb 2016
Japan
If you go to the national archives, The Catalogue. They have muster rolls for the Parliamentary forces, cavalry and infantry... not every regiment but it’s more complete than anything we have for the Royalists.

May 2017
France
Thank you very much.You speak about lists of units,or lists of soldiers ? I would be very interested by the huguenots soldiers who are among the ancesters of the English lord "Hellibank".He had ancesters from Àles,cousins with the d Assas, the de Tremolet de Robiac.Dupuy Montbrun of the Cevennes (Prince Philip,the husband of Elizabeth,has in his ancesters Esperance Dupuy Montbrun de Ferrassieres,wife of the earl Von Dohna von Schlobitten,because the Windsor have german origines).

Feb 2016
Japan
A muster roll is a list of men serving in the ranks of unit. Officers may be included, or just mentioned as the leader of a company.
It will usually be a long list, broken down into companies, listing soldiers name, age, date enlisted, place enlisted, and if they are sick, injured or detached at date of muster, if they have left the regiment it will usually say why.

I’m more familiar with 19th century muster rolls, so an ECW muster might contain more or less information like previous trade or occupation.

I know the archives has complete muster rolls for some parliamentarian regiments. I doubt they will go into much detail into the men’s family background or class.

200 years later they had “description books” for each company which recorded men’s birthplace, age, date of birth, height, build, complexion, hair colour, eye colour, distinguishing features.. but I don’t know if this was done in the mid 17th century.

May 2017
France
Very interesting.In France,at the beginning of the redaction of these lists (XVIIth centuries) we spoke about the "monstre of the régiments",and in Spain,"la monstra de los regimientos".The collections of the castle of Vincennes,where died Henri V of England,are enormous.The evolution is very clear:
XVIIIth century,simple lists:Jacques,named the flower,Pierre,named the stone….
Revolution:complete identification of the man (physical description,dates etc...).
Empire:total description,familial and social origines.
XIXth century:all the details possible.I have worked about the special population of the military convicts of the BILA,the Bataillons d Infanterie Legere d Afrique,250 000 men from 1832 to 1914.The collections created after 1914 have been destroyed (three weeks of fire near the royal chapel) by order of the general de Cosse-Brissac,governor of Vincennes,conservador of the patrimony (absolutely authentic) because he wanted to recuperate some place and considered that the investigators could find the documents about their ancesters in the departments registers.Good for the little genealogy,but catastrofic for the sociologists like me,even if i enjoyed genealogy.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
In France, some historians said that the soldiers of Cromwell were protestants and their adversaries catholics,but what was the attitude of the Angicans ?
There wasn't a clear line between Catholics and Anglicans. It was difficult to be openly Roman Catholic in England, but fine to be "high church". There was a wide range of theology and ritual acceptable as long as you recognized the monarch as head of the Church. There were secret Catholics and those who would prefer to be Roman Catholic who went along with Anglicanism. There were also some who didn't care who was head of the Church, but preferred close to the traditional mass and so on.

Cambridge trained clergymen as protestants, but Oxford trained more Catholic high church clergy. There were also Puritan clergymen who were ordained Anglican priests. It wasn't that clear cut the distinction between Anglican and Puritan either. There was an attempt to get everyone to accept Anglicanism by being very flexible about what was acceptable.

I would think that the protestant royalists were mostly Anglicans. However, there were political as well as religious issues involved. Many also joined whichever force controlled their area, or were more or less forced into the armies.

Last edited: