Who were the most famous men in the world during the 19th century?

Feb 2019
Thrace
I was reading a quote from Ronald Bottrall stating that after Napoleon's death, Goethe and Lord Byron became the 2 most famous men in Europe and it got me thinking. Let's say between Goethe's death(1832) and the start of WW1(1914), who were the most famous men in the World? I picked WW1 because mass-media in the form of cinema and radio started to spread from that point on. And it's interesting to see what great figures were most renowned before the emergence of pop-celebrities.

A few possible options: Charles Darwin, Thomas Edison, Abraham Lincoln, Otto von Bismarck, Giuseppe Garibaldi, Franz Joseph I of Austria, Graham Bell, Nietzsche, and I'm not very knowledgeable regarding the history of car industries but maybe Henry Ford was already huge pre WW1?

I think none of the above was at peak reputation by 1832 though. Who would be a good example as a successor of sorts for Goethe? Maybe Charles Babbage? And am I off the mark with any of these men?

Last edited:
Feb 2019
Thrace
Good calls. It's interesting that Bottrall mentioned 2 non state leaders, or even with an extensive career in politics. What other non politicians could rival or even surpass the great world leaders during the 19th century in widespread renown?

Feb 2019
Thrace
And from the ones I picked, who do you reckon was the most famous. I essentially have a shortlist, but I'd like to continue Bottrall's assertion with a "lineage" of sorts until WW1 if possible, allthough I'm not knowledgeble enough to actually pick from them.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Good calls. It's interesting that Bottrall mentioned 2 non state leaders, or even with an extensive career in politics. What other non politicians could rival or even surpass the great world leaders during the 19th century in widespread renown?
Maybe Delacroix or some other artist, some composers such as Strauss, Tchaikovsky or Elgar are also contenders.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Heihachi Togo.

The defeat of a "white" power by a "non-white" power in a modern, contemporary (naval) battle sent shockwaves throughout the entire colonial world.

Similar History Discussions