Who were the most famous men in the world during the 19th century?

Mar 2019
Kansas
And to add to the list

Jules Verne

H.G Wells

Louis Pastor

Florence Nightingale

Lizzie Bordon

Jack The Ripper

Sitting Bull

Crazy Horse

The Bronte Sisters

Nelie Melba

Typhoid Mary

Feb 2019
Thrace
Babbage? Was he famous in his own time?
I don't know really. Terence Whalen said that he was "one of the pre-eminent polymates of the 19th century. In his lifetime, Babbage was esteemd for his acomplishments as a mathematician, inventor, scientist, and political economist." I'm not sure exactly to what fame that amounts. What other suggestion do you have?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I don't know really. Terence Whalen said that he was "one of the pre-eminent polymates of the 19th century. In his lifetime, Babbage was esteemd for his acomplishments as a mathematician, inventor, scientist, and political economist." I'm not sure exactly to what fame that amounts. What other suggestion do you have?
Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
Yep, he was certainly notable.

BTW, interesting fact: He almost choked to death on a coin in 1843:

Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Wikipedia

"While performing a conjuring trick for the amusement of his children in 1843 Brunel accidentally inhaled a half-sovereign coin, which became lodged in his windpipe. A special pair of forceps failed to remove it, as did a machine devised by Brunel to shake it loose. At the suggestion of his father, Brunel was strapped to a board and turned upside-down, and the coin was jerked free.[83] He recuperated at Teignmouth, and enjoyed the area so much that he purchased an estate at Watcombe in Torquay, Devon. Here he commissioned William Burn to design Brunel Manor and its gardens to be his country home.[84] He never saw the house or gardens finished, as he died before it was completed."

Similar History Discussions