Who were the "Pelasgians"?

Aug 2013
Italy
Numerous ancient texts mention "Pelasgians" as being pre-Hellenic tribes or ethnic groups which had lived in Greece and other areas of the Aegean, since time immemorial. But who exactly were these Pelasgians? Their origin, language and culture are only vaguely described, if at all, in the ancient sources. Did the mysterious Pelasgians ever exist as a homogeneous people, or were they a conglomeration of unrelated tribes, as the Sea Peoples probably were?

Apr 2017
The Ancient World
What I have understood is that Pelasgian was the term applied by Greeks to the original inhabitants of Greece, a people who were not Indo-European. The Athenians claimed descent from them and prided themselves in being the oldest city and settlement.

Now, having some knowledge of male lineages (ydna), the Pelasgians probably chiefly belonged to the two lineages called E1b1b and J2, quite prevalent in Greece, Albania, Italy and the Balkans today. They originally came from Anatolia through the Near East, though E1b1b came from further South, i.e. from North Africa, particularly Egypt, long before the invasions of the Indo-Europeans, who came from the Caucases and steppes of East Europe. Those Indo-Europeans, who brought their beautiful language and beautiful domesticated animal (horse) to Greece, belonged to lineages called R1b and R1a, also very prevalent in Greece today, but somewhat less than the other two.

My own male lineage, as I have lately discovered, is quite close to the Pelasgian, i.e. a branch of E1b1b, particularly connected with early farmers. My mother's (a north Albanian) female lineage is also Pelasgian and native to Greece (I have at least two confirmed matches with Greeks) but originally it came from the Near East and Anatolia 10,000 years ago, also the earliest farmers.

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Numerous ancient texts mention "Pelasgians" as being pre-Hellenic tribes or ethnic groups which had lived in Greece and other areas of the Aegean, since time immemorial. But who exactly were these Pelasgians? Their origin, language and culture are only vaguely described, if at all, in the ancient sources. Did the mysterious Pelasgians ever exist as a homogeneous people, or were they a conglomeration of unrelated tribes, as the Sea Peoples probably were?
Since you recently posted here, http://historum.com/art-cultural-history/127414-wily-odysseus-brood.html, I recall that they appear in the Iliad… “Hippothous led the tribes of Pelasgian spearsmen, who dwelt in fertile Larissa”…

But there are several thread about them…

Feb 2017
Rock Hill, South Carolina
Isn't that the group that one guy uses in "Black Athena" or whatever it's called to say that Greece and everything was actually Black?

Not making this into a discussion about race, just curious if he twists the same evidence for his own theory.

Apr 2017
The Ancient World
Isn't that the group that one guy uses in "Black Athena" or whatever it's called to say that Greece and everything was actually Black?

Not making this into a discussion about race, just curious if he twists the same evidence for his own theory.
Yes, probably. The theory about the Black Athena is totally ridiculous, an absurd and offensive cultural appropriation. I don't even quite accept that the Egyptian civilization came from Nubia, as some strong-headed Afrocentrists will swear to you with the most corrupt evidence in the world. And I still have large doubts concerning the common Albanian theory that all Pelasgians were originally Albanians, although it is far more plausible than "Black Athena", except that Pelasgians never called themselves "Albanians", a medieval term, nor "Illyrian", a classical term.

Aug 2016
Ireland, Dublin

I wouldn't take what Afrocentric extremists say seriously (Likewise Eurocentric extremists)

Last edited:
May 2017
Italy
Apparently the original name for the Pelasgoi was Pelastoi, if that's the case a connection with the Egyptian Peleset and the Philistines could be plausible.

Aug 2013
Italy
Apparently the original name for the Pelasgoi was Pelastoi, if that's the case a connection with the Egyptian Peleset and the Philistines could be plausible.
That's interesting, Albert. Another hypothesis is that "Pelasgoi" is a corruption of "Pelagoi", "islanders". Don't know if that could be etymologically correct, though.