Who were the Sea Peoples?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
This guy can't have it both ways. When the Mycenaeans depicted boars tusk helmets in their frescos, it was very clear what they were. They are unmistakably boars tusk helmets. So if this papyrus is Mycenaean then it can't be showing boars tusk helmets. If the author wants us to think that they are boars tusks helmets then the papyrus was not done by a Mycenaean artist. It looks like a regular Egyptian painting to me.
Yeah, I can't possibly see how he could interpret those as boar's tusk helmets; primarily because there are no tusks!! Features of the warriors are depicted as Egyptian, too.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
Dendrochronology doesn't help either. There is a floating tree-ring sequence that needs to be pinned down before it can be used to date anything from this time period. Centuries of Darkness explained all this. In any case, this can only tell us when the tree stopped growing. It doesn't tell us the last time the wood was used in a construction, which is what we need to date an archaeological find. Wood was reclaimed and recycled a lot more before modern mechanisation.

https://www.centuries.co.uk/uluburun.pdf

Last edited:
Jan 2015
MD, USA
Sorry, I'm still puzzled on how Thera has anything to do with the chronology of the *end* of the Bronze Age, several hundred years later?

Plus, IS there an olive wood dendro sequence for the Mediterranean? I had thought there was only juniper (?), and that it was for Anatolia. And a floating sequence at that. That was one of the probems they tried to ignore for the Ulu Burun "dating", with their scrap of cedar, it's the wrong wood for the sequence.

Matthew

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Sorry, I'm still puzzled on how Thera has anything to do with the chronology of the *end* of the Bronze Age, several hundred years later?

Plus, IS there an olive wood dendro sequence for the Mediterranean? I had thought there was only juniper (?), and that it was for Anatolia. And a floating sequence at that. That was one of the probems they tried to ignore for the Ulu Burun "dating", with their scrap of cedar, it's the wrong wood for the sequence.

Matthew
Apparently olive wood is terrible for dendrochronology (grows as many trees in one), and that's why the recent re-dating. I think you and Dan and Low Chronology folks are taking issue with the Egyptian king list after that time and dispute its "Rube Goldberg" dating. Centuries of Darkness is on the way, and I'll re-read it. Hopefully time and more evidence will clear things up..

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
And as I mentioned before:
"Neither the helmets nor the two identifiable types of armour are present elsewhere in the Egyptian iconographic record" That would be quite surprising for folks so close to home, eh?......
The same question can be posed for those in the Aegean - where in the west do we see those same plumed & horned helmets of the Late Bronze Age?

The association of those warriors with the Greek islands was nothing more than a suggestion by Chabas in the 1870's, and still has no archaeology to support the claim. So when it is perceived that those weapons and armor "look Greek", it is well to remember we have not been able to establish if such weaponry is a reliable ethnic marker. We cannot rely on any assumption that such weaponry was not widely used by other ethnic groups in the east Mediterranean.
Looking back as we do at the end of the Late Bronze Age, as if through the eye of a needle, we often only see what we have been taught to see.

Similar History Discussions