Who were the Sea Peoples?

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Sanders back in the 70's who compared all the known horned helmets?, the design is distinctly Eastern, from Mesopotamia.
We have examples of Gods with horned helmets in Sardinia, and horns protruding from the front of a helmet is a different design to what the Sherden wore.
The plumed headdress appears to encircle the head, whereas a Crest runs across the center of the head much like a Mohawk haircut.

If anything remotely similar had been found in the West Aegean it would have been shouted from the rooftops.
There have been some interesting observations that warriors described by Homer wore 7th-6th century BC armor, and Homer didn't provide any illustrations.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
All the armour and shields described in the Iliad have been analysed in detail in my book. It is abundantly clear that Homer is describing equipment from the end of the Bronze Age. The helmets are kegelhelms with crests and/or horns.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I've thought that before too; even in the Iliad, Agamemnon's armour is a gift from the ruler of Cyprus. It's even hard to find horned helmets in contemporary Greek depictions, including the Mykonos Vase. There is a vase from Rhodes shown in:
Frühgriechische Bronzehelme
That shows attached horns --appear to be sheds. Early Archaic, iirc.

Last edited:
Jun 2017
Thailand
All the armour and shields described in the Iliad have been analysed in detail in my book. It is abundantly clear that Homer is describing equipment from the end of the Bronze Age. The helmets are kegelhelms with crests and/or horns.
I understand that the Trojan War occurs in the early 12th century BC. And that, according to the Iliad. And Odyssey. Greeks landed in Egypt on their way back home to Greece...

At just about exactly the time the Egyptians record the Ekwesh arriving.

Mar 2014
Brazil
That story of Mycenaean piracy in Egypt is told twice by Homer,not in the Iliad but in Odyssey.

Agammenon first told Telemachus that he visited Egypt and was defeated by the Egyptian king,later a disguised Odysseus used a similar story.

It'a shame we lost all the other works of the epic cycle,specially Cypria (the first ten years of the war) and Aethiopis (the coming of Memnon and the death of Achilles).

In Roman times Quintus Smyrnaeus retold the events of the later events of the war in hls epic, Posthomerica.

Memnon is a interesting case.Despite his importance in legends the greeks did not agree were was mythological Aethiopia.
Homer put then both in the western and eastern sides of the world,Herodotus in Susa,Ctesias in Assyria,Helenistic writers in Africa and so on.

It's like the use of the therms "Meluha" and "Magan" during the Assyrian Empire.Originally they were related to the India and Oman,but with time became associated to Egypt and Nubia.

Memnon hypothetically could be a sea people (if he came from the western islands,like Sardina),and even a Hittite (in Ctesias story Troy is a vassal from Assyria,but historically Wilusa/Ilion was a Hittite vassal).

Enviado de meu E6603 usando o Tapatalk

Similar History Discussions