Who were the Sea Peoples?

Aug 2014
Australia
I've probably studied these images more than anyone else alive and still have no idea what they are wearing. These carvings were originally elaborately painted and we don't know how much detail was painted on and is now lost to us.

Aug 2014
Australia
I'm not sure there were any Greek colonies in that part of the world. Greeks had settled in established cities - probably initially to facilitate trade and then staying permanently and increasing their numbers. They would have been one of the minorities in that region.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
It's clear from all of the different peoples listed by Ramses III that they couldn't all be native to the Nile delta, so folks came in from elsewhere, including Odysseus and other opportunistic folks.
Cilicia could have been a staging area.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
Australia
It's clear from all of the different peoples listed by Ramses III that they couldn't all be native to the Nile delta, so folks came in from elsewhere, including Odysseus and other opportunistic folks.
All Rameses did was to list all the minorities who participated in the rebellion. Rebels, by definition, must have lived under Egyptian rule. If they were outsiders, they would not have been called rebels.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Could it be that as Egypt traditionally received tribute from the Agean powers and at the time the empire had disintegrated into a bunch of strong men that they were called "rebels"? I don't read the glyphs so I can't debate on those points, unfortunately.

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I've probably studied these images more than anyone else alive and still have no idea what they are wearing. These carvings were originally elaborately painted and we don't know how much detail was painted on and is now lost to us.
It's not scale or any type of local armour, at least to me, the closest fit is decorated cuirasses with pauldrons. There isn't anything like it in the rest of Egyptian depictions. Nothing about it is inconsistent with a depiction of a plate cuirass, and it does fit with the rest of the panoply.

Similar History Discussions