Who were the Sea Peoples?

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
............ and what? did the Egyptians ever depict Semites wearing head gear like that at any other point in history? no! ....
Which reliefs are you talking about?
It might have escaped your attention but there are very few reliefs from any period that shows foreign warriors in combat.
Where are the reliefs of Thutmosis I, or Thut III, or Amenhotep II, III for that matter. Where are the reliefs of Shoshenk I.
Seti I, Ram II & Ram III provide the most examples of foreign warriors in combat, or as captives.
Ramesses II showed Asiatic warriors in horned helmets in the battle at Depur.

these depictions are distinctly different as are the feathered helmet variety however both horned and feathered can and are found in Mycenean and Agean style head wear.

Your boring mate, that Helmet is typical of the flamboyant bronze helmets of the Greeks.
I think you would do better to leave those fabricated hypothetical sketches alone and do some real research.
Sanders looked into this issue back in the 1970's, she wrote:
"Horned helmets were alien to the Aegean and for some time longer to Europe also, but they were indigenous to Mesopotamia, Anatolia and the Levant. Over this whole region bulls horns, worn on a tiara or helmet were the mark of divinity."
The Sea Peoples, N. K. Sandars, page 106, 1985.

Does this example look familiar?

It's Naram Sin, 3rd millennium BC.

No Semite wore horned helmets, not the Assyrians, not the Babylonians, not the Arabs, not the Yemeni, not the Levant arabs, none of them ..........
You have some serious reading to do.

How many horned helmets have been dug up in Greece or Crete from the 2nd millennium?

Which reliefs are you talking about?
It might have escaped your attention but there are very few reliefs from any period that shows foreign warriors in combat.
Where are the reliefs of Thutmosis I, or Thut III, or Amenhotep II, III for that matter. Where are the reliefs of Shoshenk I.
Seti I, Ram II & Ram III provide the most examples of foreign warriors in combat, or as captives.
Ramesses II showed Asiatic warriors in horned helmets in the battle at Depur.

I think you would do better to leave those fabricated hypothetical sketches alone and do some real research.
Sanders looked into this issue back in the 1970's, she wrote:
"Horned helmets were alien to the Aegean and for some time longer to Europe also, but they were indigenous to Mesopotamia, Anatolia and the Levant. Over this whole region bulls horns, worn on a tiara or helmet were the mark of divinity."
The Sea Peoples, N. K. Sandars, page 106, 1985.

Does this example look familiar?

It's Naram Sin, 3rd millennium BC.

You have some serious reading to do.

How many horned helmets have been dug up in Greece or Crete from the 2nd millennium?
"It's Naram Sin, 3rd millennium BC." do you think you need to point out to me anything about the Akkadians? save your breath, I've forgotten more about the akkadians than you know.

Bore off seriously.

You trying to lecture me on the Ancient Middle East is a joke.

That picture you posted is an Akkadian stele and akkadians didn't wear helmets like that, that's a ceremonial attire of the Grandson of Sargon of Akkad and fictional, NOT some warrior called Sea Peoples, that is the depiction of a King and there is no evidence there was ever a real crown or helmet like that worn.

And again .......... selective ......... post the rest of that stele and see the connical helmets the actual soldiers wear, not one man in a more than likely fictional / exaggerated attire to reflect status.
In fact because we can't trust you to make a cup of tea I'll post it myself ........ so we can all laugh at your ridiculous attempt.

To even try to use that as a typical example of a warrirors dress from mesopotamia just makes you look like the joke you are ......... "They had medallians on" lol jesus your desperate.

This is what Akkadian Warriors wore as depicted in that stele.

Oh and once again DNA lad, D.....N.....A ........ how many more times do you want to side step that elephant in the room?

Here's something for you ............. find us one example, just one example of a Middle Eastern warrior from that or any time period around this era where a Semite warrior is wearing a horned helmet which is actually worn in battle and by numerous warriors......... starting off with even one would be nice.

I'll wait.

Last edited:
Nov 2015
Kyiv
imho they were a group of ex-cucuteni/trypillians from russia. they settled on cyprus then landed at tyr a hundred years later.
state history museum in moscow holds all the proof in one display case... and i guess the bm and louvre have a little too.
this dna stuff just verifies what the most important artifacts say but not aegean... black sea... sea of azov.

alamy
- the culture has no relation to Russia - beyond the fact that many valuable artifacts of this culture came from the territory of Ukraine and Moldova to the museums of Moscow and St. Petersburg (Leningrad) during the time of the Russian Empire and the USSR. This applies not only to artifacts of this culture.

Similar History Discussions