Who were the thracians?

Status
Closed
Aug 2019
North
A nation closest related to macedonians, paeonians, and dardanians. It has produced royal linages of philip I and alexander III.
Their main god was leivinos (today's macedonian: lej = pour; vino = vino), a thracian name for bacchus. Always at war. What else do we know about them?

Sep 2019
Vergina
It has produced royal linages of philip I and alexander III.
Do any historians actually hold the view that Argeads were of Thracian descent? I do know of some controversy over whether Philip II's mother was Illyrian or Lyncestian.

Aug 2019
North
Do any historians actually hold the view that Argeads were of Thracian descent? I do know of some controversy over whether Philip II's mother was Illyrian or Lyncestian.
Philip's "dynasty" began in the thracian plains of central macedonia, close to the thracian tribes. Hence the name "horse lover".

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
Herodotus wasn't very kind to them.
They were basically considered by the greeks to be barbarians, in the modern sense of the word.

:)

Now the manners and customs of the Getae, who believe in their immortality, I have already spoken of. The Trausi in all else resemble the other Thracians, but have customs at births and deaths which I will now describe. When a child is born all its kindred sit round about it in a circle and weep for the woes it will have to undergo now that it is come into the world, making mention of every ill that falls to the lot of humankind; when, on the other hand, a man has died, they bury him with laughter and rejoicings, and say that now he is free from a host of sufferings, and enjoys the completest happiness.

The Thracians who live above the Crestonaeans observe the following customs. Each man among them has several wives; and no sooner does a man die than a sharp contest ensues among the wives upon the question which of them all the husband loved most tenderly; the friends of each eagerly plead on her behalf, and she to whom the honour is adjudged, after receiving the praises both of men and women, is slain over the grave by the hand of her next of kin, and then buried with her husband. The others are sorely grieved, for nothing is considered such a disgrace.

The Thracians who do not belong to these tribes have the customs which follow. They sell their children to traders. On their maidens they keep no watch, but leave them altogether free, while on the conduct of their wives they keep a most strict watch. Brides are purchased of their parents for large sums of money. Tattooing among them marks noble birth, and the want of it low birth. To be idle is accounted the most honourable thing, and to be a tiller of the ground the most dishonourable. To live by war and plunder is of all things the most glorious. These are the most remarkable of their customs.

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
A nation closest related to macedonians, paeonians, and dardanians. It has produced royal linages of philip I and alexander III.
Their main god was leivinos (today's macedonian: lej = pour; vino = vino), a thracian name for bacchus. Always at war. What else do we know about them?
They weren't a nation, not even close. A bunch of tribes speaking a common language, making beautiful tombs, crafting beautifil pieces of gold art, only briefly had something resembling a state. Lived for 1000 years just north of the most advanced civilisation at that time, but never managed to produce even a small elite of literate people, who would write down their history or language. Never conquered anything, were good mercenaries, but were overrun by whoever decided to pass through their lands, including persians, macedonians, romans etc. Because they were too busy fighting each other, which eventually led to their subjugation and disappearance as language and ethnicity.

Aug 2019
North
They weren't a nation, not even close. A bunch of tribes speaking a common language, making beautiful tombs, crafting beautifil pieces of gold art, only briefly had something resembling a state. Lived for 1000 years just north of the most advanced civilisation at that time, but never managed to produce even a small elite of literate people, who would write down their history or language. Never conquered anything, were good mercenaries, but were overrun by whoever decided to pass through their lands, including persians, macedonians, romans etc. Because they were too busy fighting each other, which eventually led to their subjugation and disappearance as language and ethnicity.
Not agreed at all on the "small elite" of literate people- they minted their own coins in ancient greek letters, did they not?
You fail to mention that they lived next to the macedonians and not next to the greeks, the colonies notwithstanding.
Otherwise, barbarians through and through. Somewhat similar to the goths.

Last edited:
Status
Closed