Who will be the next rising superpower

Mar 2011
Brazil
India will be the world's dominant power in a couple of decades. Their growth is more balanced than China's while they are democratic and allied with the mainstream in global politics. China is under severe risk of being encircled by enemy countries (Korea, Japan, US, Russia, etc) since it is independent of the world's mainstream political alliance (which includes US, EU, India, Japan, Korea, etc). Eventually, India will displace the US as the main player of this alliance although it will take a-while to happen (I think about 20 to 30 years).

Jun 2012
Malaysia
More likely, US hv chosen & decided to remain the main player, for the next 100 years, at the very least. If not 250 years.

The best that anyone else can hope for is #2, if not #3.

Aug 2016
Netherlands
More likely, US hv chosen & decided to remain the main player, for the next 100 years, at the very least. If not 250 years.

The best that anyone else can hope for is #2, if not #3.
I doubt they'll last twenty more years as the world's leading superpower. South China Sea, North Korea, Ukraine, Venezuela, the US is being challenged from many angles. Fifty years ago this would've been unthinkable.

I think it is indicative of a failure to adapt to the changing political and military landscape. The US military has no way of handling small conflicts efficiently.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
^
Umm. I don't know. I rather reckon the opposite. The US has actually broken away from the pack to today become the globe's lone superpower. Whereas only about three decades ago US was still running shoulder to shoulder with Russia-led USSR in a two-superpower game.

Four decades ago US wud not even hv been thinking about interfering in Ukraine, but today it is.

I see US either quick-crushing or slow-strangling NK, then staring down China in SCS. I cud be wrong, but that is how things are looking to me right now.

I don't think it's about achieving zero challenge, but more about successfully handling & managing challengers.

Last edited:
Aug 2009
Londinium
I doubt they'll last twenty more years as the world's leading superpower. South China Sea, North Korea, Ukraine, Venezuela, the US is being challenged from many angles. Fifty years ago this would've been unthinkable.

I think it is indicative of a failure to adapt to the changing political and military landscape. The US military has no way of handling small conflicts efficiently.
50 years ago the US had a much larger threat, that of the cold war and the potential for mass-destruction that brought, far more so than anything today.

Regarding your last sentence, there isn’t a power that has been able to win an Afghan-style conflict without just resulting in Dresden style bombing runs. With that said, the US et al have had more experience than any other with these conflicts. Russia has fought similar, on-going, engagements but these were on her borders/her new borders, not a simultaneous operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and many other locations; all several thousand miles away.

Aug 2009
Londinium
^
Umm. I don't know. I rather reckon the opposite. The US has actually broken away from the pack to today become the globe's lone superpower. Whereas only about three decades ago US was still running shoulder to shoulder with Russia-led USSR in a two-superpower game.

Four decades ago US wud not even hv been thinking about interfering in Ukraine, but today it is.

I see US either quick-crushing or slow-strangling NK, then staring down China in SCS. I cud be wrong, but that is how things are looking to me right now.

I don't think it's about achieving zero challenge, but more about successfully handling & managing challengers.
Totally agree. The only wildcard is the nationally-backed hackers of the US, China, Russia and a few others.

Aug 2017
Tijuana, Mexico
At the beginning of the 20th Century German, Japan, and the United States were poised to become super powers.

At the beginning of the 21st Century China and India are poised to become the dominate power on the world stage. I just hope it doesn't take something like World War II to determine who becomes (or remains) "king of the mountain."

Similar History Discussions