Who won the battle of Kadesh?

Jul 2019
New Jersey
I don't know a tremendous amount of preclassical history, but why should we assume that the battle's outcome was any different than the way it's always been portrayed - as an Egyptian victory? They routed the Hittites by the only accounts we have. Personally, I'm always leery of historical revisionism and I think if one's going to differ from historical consensus than they'd better have some proof.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I don't know a tremendous amount of preclassical history, but why should we assume that the battle's outcome was any different than the way it's always been portrayed - as an Egyptian victory? They routed the Hittites by the only accounts we have. Personally, I'm always leery of historical revisionism and I think if one's going to differ from historical consensus than they'd better have some proof.
Hittite sources claim Kadesh was a Hittite victory.

Nov 2015
Memphis
That's less likely based on the quantity of evidence regarding the event. It sounds more like history revisionism in all honesty. If the Hittites had won then wouldn't they have recorded their victory in the same fashion that other civilizations during the era record their events? Also wouldn't the Hittite civilization have had flourished after that? Instead the Hittite empire dissolved. The Kemetic civilization instead was the one that continued to flourish for centuries after that battle. Prior to the establishment of the Hittite empire those inhabitants came from nomadic groups who waged sporadic wars against the Kemetic civilization, and many were vassals themselves. Perhaps the outcome of the battle was Kemet graciously allowing that newly established Asiatic civilization to exist in respect to their previous tributary status.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Well, Hattusili III had this to write about the battle:
"My brother Muwattalli campaigned against the king of Egypt and the king of Amurru. When he defeated the kings of Egypt and Amurru, he went back to Aba."

Also, the text of the treaty between Hittite ruler Tudhaliya IV and Amurru ruler Shaushmaguwa includes this passage:
"Thereupon Muwattalli, the brother of the father of My Sun, and the king of Egypt did battle with each other over the people of Amurru. Muwattalli defeated the king of Egypt and subjugated the land of Amurru."

Also, in the aftermath of Kadesh, many local Canaanite rulers started defying Egypt forcing Ramesses II to start another campaign to crush them. This sequence of events seems hardly likely had Kadesh been an Egyptian victory.

Jul 2019
New Jersey
Well, Hattusili III had this to write about the battle:
"My brother Muwattalli campaigned against the king of Egypt and the king of Amurru. When he defeated the kings of Egypt and Amurru, he went back to Aba."

Also, the text of the treaty between Hittite ruler Tudhaliya IV and Amurru ruler Shaushmaguwa includes this passage:
"Thereupon Muwattalli, the brother of the father of My Sun, and the king of Egypt did battle with each other over the people of Amurru. Muwattalli defeated the king of Egypt and subjugated the land of Amurru."

Also, in the aftermath of Kadesh, many local Canaanite rulers started defying Egypt forcing Ramesses II to start another campaign to crush them. This sequence of events seems hardly likely had Kadesh been an Egyptian victory.
Thank you. I didn't know that.

The fact that Ramesses II lost Amurru, Kadesh and tracts of land south of there clearly indicates that the Hittites won*. Why would he have ceded so much territory if he had crushed the Hittites on the battlefield? The tablets later found at Hattusa also debunk Ramesses boasts of a mighty victory.

*regardless of who scored the most points, it appears to have been a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Similar History Discussions