Who won the battle of the Hydaspes, Alexander or Porus??

Status
Closed
Mar 2018
UK
It would be cool if you guys can find it in yourselves to also respect & revere the ancient ancestor and/or predecessor nations of other modern day nations, such as Iraq & Syria for instance, the same way & to the same degree that you all quite obviously respect & revere the ancestor and/or predecessor nations of modern day Greece.
???
No one here has shown a lack of respect to anyone, apart from you to the Greeks. You said that because they lose to the Turks in 1500AD, they must have lost to the Indians in 500BC, and said so in clearly offensive terms. Frankly, such a line of reasoning is pretty much racist too.

If you think that claiming that Alexander won Hydaspes is a lack of respect to ancient Indian cultures, then the problem is entirely with your fragile mental state and your inability to accept that those you think of as your ancestors were anything but invincible.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Looking to the discussion so far, it is rather evident that in the particular battle of the Hydaspes Porus was defeated. Indian pride is not hurt. Porus was ruling over a small kingdom and he fought his best. IIRC, Alexander then went south along the western bank of the Sindhu (aka Indus) river, where he fought yet another battle with a small sized force commanded either by a king or by a Republic under whom the army was serving. In that battle, he received an arrow wound in his elbow. This was probably the only battle wound he ever received. His army not being interested in going into Mainland India, more so because of the reports of the army of King Nanda, a much larger force advancing from Pataliputra (aka present day Patna, Bihar ), Alexander departed from India. Not a very distinguished campaign.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
In that battle, he received an arrow wound in his elbow. This was probably the only battle wound he ever received.
Are you talking about Porus or Alexander? There is at least one Greek source that said Porus was wounded at Hydapses. Alexander was wounded by virtually every weapon known to man at that time, the worst injury was the arrow that pierced his lung while fighting the Mallians.

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Are you talking about Porus or Alexander? There is at least one Greek source that said Porus was wounded at Hydapses. Alexander was wounded by virtually every weapon known to man at that time.
What arrow wound I 've read about was the one received by Alexander and not by Porus.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Wasn’t Alexander wounded pretty badly in the siege of Tyre (Phoenicia)? Or I am making some confusion here!?
Like Dan Howard said, Alexander was most likely covered top to bottom with battle-scars by the time he fought Porus.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
UK
Alexander is famous for being repeatedly wounded in battle and had his career almost cut even shorter numerous times. That's what happens when you lead from the front.

Reactions: Openminded

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Like Dan Howard, Alexander was most likely covered top to bottom with battle-scars by the time he fought Porus.
Heh. My head has so many dents, cuts, and scars that I look like a thug when my hair is shaved. I'm just grateful that I don't have a crooked nose or cauliflower ears.

Reactions: Openminded
Status
Closed