Who Would Win Historical US Presidential Run-off Elections?

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
I'm saying that any proposals to have the US President be elected by popular vote before the mid-20th century would have likely went nowhere because Republicans and Northerners wouldn't have wanted to have a popular vote system when a lot of their own black voters were disenfranchised.
OK, I can see that. But I can also see Northern Republicans gambling that with a little effort they could stop voter suppression and win every election up to 1932 easily. Starting in 1932 Blacks voted Democrat and then I see Republicans allowing voter suppression even though the Democrats no longer have a motive to suppress the Black vote. Then after WW2 and the rise of segregationist candidates like Thurmond and George Wallace, I can see the Black vote being suppressed again. But you're right, it's all about short term advantage.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
OK, I can see that. But I can also see Northern Republicans gambling that with a little effort they could stop voter suppression and win every election up to 1932 easily. Starting in 1932 Blacks voted Democrat and then I see Republicans allowing voter suppression even though the Democrats no longer have a motive to suppress the Black vote. Then after WW2 and the rise of segregationist candidates like Thurmond and George Wallace, I can see the Black vote being suppressed again. But you're right, it's all about short term advantage.
Stopping voter suppression isn't exactly easy when you don't have a sympathetic SCOTUS to back you up, though.

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
I wonder if Tilden would have still won a majority of the PV had it not been for the suppression of the black vote in the Southern US.
Hard to say - you would have to weigh ballot stuffing in Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina against voter suppression in the rest of the south.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hard to say - you would have to weigh ballot stuffing in Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina against voter suppression in the rest of the south.
The GOP stuffed ballots in those three US states in 1876?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
And Democratic local officials and/or Democratic local officeholders in these three US states didn't?
The military occupation of the South ended on a State by State basis.

In these three, if I'm not mistaken, the US military had executive authority and, NO, the old Democrats were powerless.