Who would you have supported in all US presidential elections up to 1988?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Who would you have supported in all US presidential elections up to 1988? For the record, you do have the benefit of hindsight here. As for me, here is my list together with the explanations:

1789: George Washington (No Party) due to him being the Father of the Nation.
1792: George Washington (No Party) for the same reason.
1796: Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican) due to my opposition to Adams's subsequent support of the Alien and Sedition Acts.
1800: Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican) for the same reason.
1804: Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican) for the same reason
1808: James Madison (Democratic-Republican) because I don't want to rock the boat and also due to his subsequent support for the War of 1812.
1812: James Madison (Democratic-Republican) for the same reasons.
1816: James Monroe (Democratic-Republican) because I don't want to rock the boat.
1820: James Monroe (Democratic-Republican) for the same reason.
1824: John Quincy Adams (Democratic-Republican) because I think that his vision was better than Jackson's and because I dislike Jackson's subsequent war against the National Bank and Jackson's introduction of the spoils system.
1828: John Quincy Adams (National Republican) for the same reason.
1832: Henry Clay (National Republican) for the same reason.
1836: William Henry Harrison (Whig) due to my opposition to Van Buren due to him being Jackson's Vice President.
1840: William Henry Harrison (Whig) for the same reason.
1844: James Polk (Democrat) due to my strong support for Manifest Destiny.
1848: Lewis Cass (Democrat) for the same reason.
1852: Franklin Piece (Democrat) for the same reason.
1856: John Fremont (Republican) because I want to abolish slavery.
1860: Abraham Lincoln (Republican) for the same reason.
1864: Abraham Lincoln (Republican) for the same reason and also because I want the US to win the American Civil War.
1868: Ulysses Grant (Republican) due to his support of Reconstruction and black rights.
1872: Ulysses Grant (Republican) for the same reason.
1876: Rutherford Hayes (Republican) because I don't see a better alternative.
1880: James Garfield (Republican) because I don't see a better alternative and because I personally like Garfield, his work ethnic, his intellect, and his character.
1884: James Blaine (Republican) because I think that he would be more ambitious in regards to foreign affairs than Cleveland was.
1888: Grover Cleveland (Democrat) due to his support of the gold standard.
1892: Grover Cleveland (Democrat) for the same reason.
1896: William McKinley (Republican) for the same reason.
1900: William McKinley (Republican) for the same reason--though I absolutely loathe his war against the Filipinos who are seeking independence. :(
1904: Theodore Roosevelt (Republican) due to my support for his Square Deal and progressivism.
1908: William Howard Taft (Republican) due to him being endorsed by Theodore Roosevelt.
1912: Theodore Roosevelt (Progressive) due to my support for his Square Deal and progressivism.
1916: Charles Evans Hughes (Republican) because I think and hope that he would have handled World War I and its aftermath better than Wilson did.
1920: James Cox (Democrat) because I dislike the Republicans' isolationism during this time.
1924: Robert La Follette (Progressive) because he's the only major progressive candidate in this election.
1928: Al Smith (Democrat) because I think and hope that he would have handled the Great Depression better than Hoover did.
1932: Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat) due to my support for his New Deal.
1936: Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat) for the same reason.
1940: Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat) for the same reason and also due to his relative interventionism in regards to foreign affairs.
1944: Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat) for the same reasons.
1948: Harry Truman (Democrat) because I think that he's more of a representative of the common people than Dewey was and also because I strongly admire his support of the Marshall Plan and his willingness to rebuild Europe after World War II and confront Communism.
1952: Dwight Eisenhower (Republican) because I want to see the internationalists triumph within the Republican Party.
1956: Dwight Eisenhower (Republican) for the same reason and also because I don't want to rock the boat.
1960: John F. Kennedy (Democrat) because he's young, vibrant, and dynamic and also because I approve of his subsequent handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
1964: Lyndon Johnson (Democrat) due to his support for the 1964 Civil Rights Act, 1965 Voting Rights Act, Medicare, Medicaid, and Great Society. I do strongly dislike his Vietnam War policy, though. :(
1968: Hubert Humphrey (Democrat) because he's more progressive than Nixon is.
1972: Richard Nixon (Republican) because McGovern appears to be too radical and perhaps also lacks good judgment as evidenced by his initial selection of Thomas Eagleton as his VP pick in spite of Eagleton's mental health problems.
1976: Gerald Ford (Republican) because I hope that he would have handled the turbulent late 1970s better than Carter did.
1980: Ronald Reagan (Republican) because I disapprove of Carter's poor leadership and also because I support the idea of an arms race to bankrupt the Soviet Union and cause it to collapse.
1984: Ronald Reagan (Republican) for the same reasons.
1988: George H. W. Bush (Republican) for the same reasons and also because I support his subsequent decision to use military force to expel Iraq from Kuwait--though I do think that his betrayal of the Iraqi Shiites and Kurds after encouraging them to rebel against Saddam Hussein in 1991 was completely unacceptable.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this list of mine?

Jun 2017
maine
I guess this would be pretty much of an individual choice. Hindsight helps but so would a crystal ball. I'd agree with your selections until 1844 where I'd rather Henry Clay (because I am opposed to Manifest Destiny); 1848 where I'd sooner Zachary Taylor (because he saw the importance of compromise). Then we agree until 1876 and, from there on we differ:
1876: Peter Cooper (better educated and more sensible)
1880: Neal Dow (a principled man with positive experience)
1884: Agree.
1888: Alson Streeter (a more comprehensive grasp)
1892: Simon Wing (a near neighbor twice over; I like his support for working people)
1896: Charles Malchett (for the same reason)
1900: Eugene Debs (for the same reason)
1902: Eugene Debs (for the same reason)
1908: Eugene Debs (for the same reason)
1912: Eugene Debs (for the same reason)
1916: Allan Benson (in some ways, he was among the first to recognize the damage done by wealth inequality)
1920: Eugene Debs (for the same reason)
1924: Agree
1928: Agree
1932: Agree
1936: Agree
1940: Agree
1952: Adlai Stevenson (he may have been smartest candidate and surely was the most admirable)
1955: Adlai Stevenson (for the same reason)
1960: Agree
1964: Agree
1968: Agree
1972: George McGovern (for the very reason given against him as well as hindsight)
1976: Eugene McCarthy (anti-war)
1980: John Anderson (anti-war; IMO one of the better candidates of relatively recent time)
1984: Walter Mondale (great background, terrific education, more experience)
1988: Michael Dukakis (competent governor of Massachusetts)

Reactions: Niobe and Futurist
Mar 2019
Kansas
Who would you have supported in all US presidential elections up to 1988? For the record, you do have the benefit of hindsight here. As for me, here is my list together with the explanations:

Wow I would not have picked you for that

Reactions: Futurist
Jun 2017
Connecticut

1796: Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican) due to my opposition to Adams's subsequent support of the Alien and Sedition Acts.
1808: James Madison (Democratic-Republican) because I don't want to rock the boat and also due to his subsequent support for the War of 1812.
1816: James Monroe (Democratic-Republican) because I don't want to rock the boat.
1824: John Quincy Adams (Democratic-Republican) because I think that his vision was better than Jackson's and because I dislike Jackson's subsequent war against the National Bank and Jackson's introduction of the spoils system.
1836: William Henry Harrison (Whig) due to my opposition to Van Buren due to him being Jackson's Vice President.
1864: Abraham Lincoln (Republican) for the same reason and also because I want the US to win the American Civil War.
1868: Ulysses Grant (Republican) due to his support of Reconstruction and black rights.
1880: James Garfield (Republican) because I don't see a better alternative and because I personally like Garfield, his work ethnic, his intellect, and his character.
1884: James Blaine (Republican) because I think that he would be more ambitious in regards to foreign affairs than Cleveland was.
1900: William McKinley (Republican) for the same reason--though I absolutely loathe his war against the Filipinos who are seeking independence. :(
1904: Theodore Roosevelt (Republican) due to my support for his Square Deal and progressivism.
1908: William Howard Taft (Republican) due to him being endorsed by Theodore Roosevelt.
1912: Theodore Roosevelt (Progressive) due to my support for his Square Deal and progressivism.
1916: Charles Evans Hughes (Republican) because I think and hope that he would have handled World War I and its aftermath better than Wilson did.
1920: James Cox (Democrat) because I dislike the Republicans' isolationism during this time.
1924: Robert La Follette (Progressive) because he's the only major progressive candidate in this election.
1928: Al Smith (Democrat) because I think and hope that he would have handled the Great Depression better than Hoover did.
1940: Franklin Roosevelt (Democrat) for the same reason and also due to his relative interventionism in regards to foreign affairs.
1948: Harry Truman (Democrat) because I think that he's more of a representative of the common people than Dewey was and also because I strongly admire his support of the Marshall Plan and his willingness to rebuild Europe after World War II and confront Communism.
1952: Dwight Eisenhower (Republican) because I want to see the internationalists triumph within the Republican Party.
1956: Dwight Eisenhower (Republican) for the same reason and also because I don't want to rock the boat.
1960: John F. Kennedy (Democrat) because he's young, vibrant, and dynamic and also because I approve of his subsequent handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
1964: Lyndon Johnson (Democrat) due to his support for the 1964 Civil Rights Act, 1965 Voting Rights Act, Medicare, Medicaid, and Great Society. I do strongly dislike his Vietnam War policy, though. :(
1972: Richard Nixon (Republican) because McGovern appears to be too radical and perhaps also lacks good judgment as evidenced by his initial selection of Thomas Eagleton as his VP pick in spite of Eagleton's mental health problems.
1976: Gerald Ford (Republican) because I hope that he would have handled the turbulent late 1970s better than Carter did.
1980: Ronald Reagan (Republican) because I disapprove of Carter's poor leadership and also because I support the idea of an arms race to bankrupt the Soviet Union and cause it to collapse.
1988: George H. W. Bush (Republican) for the same reasons and also because I support his subsequent decision to use military force to expel Iraq from Kuwait--though I do think that his betrayal of the Iraqi Shiites and Kurds after encouraging them to rebel against Saddam Hussein in 1991 was completely unacceptable.

1796 Adams
1800-1816 wouldn't care
1820 Monroe don't really have a choice
1824 Clay, Quincy Adams if in congress
1828 Quincy Adams
1832 Clay
1836 Webster
1840 Harrison
1844 Clay
1848 Taylor
1852 Scott
1856 Fremont
1860 Lincoln
1864 Lincoln
1868 Grant
1872 Grant
1876 Tilden
1880 wouldn't care
1884 Blaine
1888 Harrison
1892 Weaver
1896 Bryan
1900 Bryan
1904 TR
1908 Bryan
1912 Wilson
1916 Hughes
1920 Neither
1924 La Follette(who's a third party candidate)
1928 Neither(because of Al Smith's ideological change in the 1930s)
1932 FDR
1936 FDR
1940 FDR
1944 FDR
1948 I honestly don't know, rare case where both people are ones I'd be happy to have as Pres for the time
1952 Stevenson
1956 Stevenson
1960 I honestly wouldn't care tbh for several reasons
1964 LBJ
1968 Humphrey
1972 McGovern
1976 Carter
1980 Carter
1984 Mondale
1988 Dukakis

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I'll just list up through 1856 to begin.

'88 GW (unopposed, so merely for completeness)
'92 GW
'96 Jefferson (If I had been around in the '90s I have a difficult time seeing myself as aligned with pro-reconciliation with UK platform of Adams-Hamilton)
'00 Jefferson
'04 Jefferson
'08 JMadison
'12 JMadison
'16 Monroe
'20 Monroe (as in the case of GW there was not an organized opposition)
'24 Adams
'28 Jackson ( Adams had a rather difficult time as Executive, probably second least successful President to that time -- Madison as least)
'32 Jackson
'36 Little Marty Van Buren
'40 Harrison ( a bit of sentiment here, as Harrison was a hero in winning the West and advancing the schedule by which the States I've lived in
most of life were admitted to the USA)
'44 Clay (this is a much more impressive personality and more accomplished man than Polk. Polk had good fortune with Scott and Taylor emerging in Mexico.)
'48 Taylor
'52 Pierce
'56 Fremont (the most aligned with interests of "near" West and Pacific West... interestingly, wikipedia claiming a 79% voter turnout for 1856.)

Maybe I should have thought about it a bit more and may be persuaded on the pre-Civil War discussions, I have sided with the loser in just 3 of the 15 contested elections... given Monroe second term uncontested.

Reactions: Niobe and Futurist

nuclearguy165

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
Ohio, USA

1796, 1800 (maybe), 1832, 1848, 1876, and 1884. I personally like John Adams and his general political vision (minus A&S) more than I like Jefferson but I think Adams was problematic in the role of CE, which is why I support Jefferson more, simply on leadership qualities. Without hindsight though, I support Adams for 1796.

I can explain the others more later, if you want.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
]@Code Blue
Any thoughts on this?
First, I am flattered to be called by name. I can't imagine what I did to earn your respect.
Second, not really my kind of thread. I have such a low regard for politicians as a species. Though, I agree with you through 1820. .
Third, it is surprising to see you speak positively of progressives and then endorse Reagan.
Last, and this is one of my peeves. You endorse Fremont for the idea of abolishing slavery. What would you do with those 4 million people "held to service or labor?"

Reactions: Futurist