Who would you have supported in the 1862-1877 Dungan Revolt?

Who would you have supported in the 1862-1877 Dungan Revolt?

• Total voters

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
I'll confess this is one of those wars I don't know enough about to have an informed opinion. So I'll refrain from voting for the moment.

Jan 2015
EARTH
As for me, the Muslims, I suppose, due to the fact that they were fighting in favor of self-determination.

Both of the sides appear to have had their flaws, though.

Also, for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungan_Revolt_(1862–77)
Your wiki link says they had no real goals and weren't fighting particularly against the Qing. Background was Ming loyalism from Confucian Muslim scholars?? Such an amusing and contradictory existence.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
As for me, the Muslims, I suppose, due to the fact that they were fighting in favor of self-determination.
....self-determination?
do you know the real conflict between non muslim and muslim?
do you know the conflicts between al-Sufiyyah and other fractions?
what kind of self determination is achieved by killing out people with other believes?

Feb 2013
Second City
Your wiki link says they had no real goals and weren't fighting particularly against the Qing. Background was Ming loyalism from Confucian Muslim scholars?? Such an amusing and contradictory existence.
Why's it contradictory? The Ming were very Confucian and maintained excellent relations with Muslims, granting them huge advantages over their Manichaean and Nestorian neighbors in Northwest China. The great mariner Zheng He, for example, was a high ranking Muslim eunuch, while Nanjing became an important center of Islamic scholarship under the Ming. The Hongwu Emperor even wrote the Hundred-word Eulogy praising Islam and the Prophet Muhammad.

Last edited:

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
Why's it contradictory? The Ming were very Confucian and maintained excellent relations with Muslims, granting them huge advantages over their Manichaean and Nestorian neighbors in Northwest China. The great mariner Zheng He, for example, was a high ranking Muslim eunuch, and Nanjing was an important center of Islamic scholarship under the Ming.
that is indeed amusing because it has nothing to do with the events.

btw: pardon? Nanjing being a center of Islamic scholarship? never heard of
and there never was such a thing as Hundred-word Eulogy by the emperor, no record of this

Last edited:
Feb 2013
Second City
that is indeed amusing because it has nothing to do with the events.
It was in regards to Moloc's confusion over why Muslims might retain loyalties to the Confucian Ming.

btw: pardon? Nanjing being a center of Islamic scholarship? never heard of
Mosques were erected there on imperial orders, and there was a rather clear line of significant Chinese Islamic scholarship starting with Ma Junshi, followed by Wang Daiyu, and continuing into the Qing dynasty under Liu Zhi.

Here's a link to a source in The Encyclopedia of of Confucianism by Xinzhong Yao: https://books.google.com/books?id=P-c4CQAAQBAJ&pg=PA118&lpg=PA118&dq=Ma+Junshi+nanjing+islam&source=bl&ots=EolU0R1Ova&sig=X8Fy5TdJAv8h6pejNIyGoDPV-C0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAmoVChMIndSoj-2dxwIVlxOSCh2_igMw#v=onepage&q=Ma%20Junshi%20nanjing%20islam&f=false

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
It was in regards to Moloc's confusion over why Muslims might retain loyalties to the Confucian Ming.
and he/she was simply quoting the wiki page, which is quite amusing.

Mosques were erected there on imperial orders, and there was a rather clear line of significant Chinese Islamic scholarship starting with Ma Junshi, followed by Wang Daiyu, and continuing into the Qing dynasty under Liu Zhi.
several individuals can hardly be called as a center

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
....self-determination?
Wouldn't a Muslim victory in this war have resulted in an independent Muslim state, though?

do you know the real conflict between non muslim and muslim?
No; what exactly is it?

do you know the conflicts between al-Sufiyyah and other fractions?
No.

what kind of self determination is achieved by killing out people with other believes?
None; however, what kind of self-determination is achieved by having China forcefully reconquer Xinjiang?