Who would you have supported in the American Revolutionary War?

Who would you have supported in the American Revolutionary War?

• The US/Americans

• Britain/the UK

Results are only viewable after voting.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Britain. I couldn’t go to war against my countrymen.
Against your countrymen or against the royals? :)

The Colonials were your countrymen (Correct?) and just as entitled to the benefits of the Bill of Rights of 1689, and they try to tell "you" that?
Appeal to the People of Great Britain, October 21, 1774
Amendment I (Religion): Continental Congress to the People of Great Britain

Why would want to let them suffer at the hands of the new "Jacobin" and papist monarchists? lol

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Considering it was the British that started the Industrial Revolution, which is what made slavery for economic purposes outdated and burdensome, I'd say yes. Remember, they had extremely valuable plantation colonies on Jamaica and Barbados, but still abolished slavery anyway.
The aristocracy moved onto better things - addicting the most populous country in the world to opium.

And they could still use slavery agitation as a wedge issue against those American brigands who dared to defy Divine Right in 1776, and who wriggled out of their grasp in 1812 because they were too busy wrestling with Napoleon.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The "over the mountain men", west of the Proclamation Line were generally strong Patriots for obvious reasons. Similarly the native Americans were generally "Tories". Many of the settlers in illegal areas were Scotch Irish, who had experience with violence with the people in whose territory they had settled in Ireland. I have never heard the argument that support was along ethnic lines though.

Scottish Presbyterians were mostly Patriots anyway, whereas Scottish highlanders were mostly Tories. The Revolution was partly against the Anglican Church. Congregationalists in New England were also strongly Patriot.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
The "over the mountain men", west of the Proclamation Line were generally strong Patriots for obvious reasons. Similarly the native Americans were generally "Tories". Many of the settlers in illegal areas were Scotch Irish, who had experience with violence with the people in whose territory they had settled in Ireland. I have never heard the argument that support was along ethnic lines though.

Scottish Presbyterians were mostly Patriots anyway, whereas Scottish highlanders were mostly Tories. The Revolution was partly against the Anglican Church. Congregationalists in New England were also strongly Patriot.
The king enacted the Proclamation of 1763 that forbade settlement in the Ohio valley. It was in the tribe's best interest to side with the British.

Jan 2018
Sturgeon Lake Mn.
Who I supported would depend on my economic and social interest. Which is unknown since I wasn't there.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
If you are going to really think about you'd have to think about context.

In 1776 there was no USA but rather colonies in 'British North America',

If I lived in Britain I may well sympathise with my colonial brothers -- didn't George Washington say 'he was fighting for his rights as as free born Englishmen' ---- after defeat and surrender the Redcoat officers gave their parole and then went and lived with colonial families who basically shared a very similar social background. Indeed many would have sympathised with the 'rebels' , the 'Revolution' simply didn't get its ideas from thin air but they developed in Britain over the centuries. Many of the complaints --quartering of soldiers, the threat of a standing army etc--- were echoed over the years in Britain. Interestingly the vast majority of the rank and file Redcoats refused to change sides.

Britain struggled to raise troops because it was very unattractive to cross the vast ocean and figth 'their own'.

If you lived in America its perhaps as likely that you'd be sympathetic the the Loyalists as the Rebels -- and sorry the 'terrible tyranny' of the Crown simply didn't exist infact Americans may well have been better off than their British counterparts. And sorry I haven't read that the war had an ethnic factor and please 'divine right of Kings' hadn't been in Britain for a longtime in 1776.

So me I'd like to think I'd be supporting 'democracy' but thats a really strange concept -- mob rule, populism -- might be a step too far.

Low enough in society in America or Britain -- do I give a fek what the rich are doing?