Why Americans use the word "Judeo-Christian values"?

Aug 2014
pakistan
There was a Youtube video in which some American was asking Israelis on street if their religion was more close to Christianity or Islam and almost all of them replied Islam , much to the shock of westerns in comment section. It made me think whether the American notion of "Judeo-Christian values" is established on any solid grounds?. What exactly are Judeo-Christians values or morals in the eyes of Americans?. Sure Torah is part of Bible but Christians dont follow Torah and Thalmud (and if i am not wrong, New testament consider laws and morals of old testament to be invalid) . Moreover Jews consider Christians to be heretics. deviants and polytheists . So did American-Christians take Jews into confidence before coining the word Judeo-Christian?

Nov 2016
Germany
It made me think whether the American notion of "Judeo-Christian values" is established on any solid grounds?
Islam is indeed a bit closer to Judaism because both lack a redeemer of the Jesus Christ type. As to Judeo-Christian values, these are a concept by Christians (whose Bible contains Jewish texts without permission by ancient Judaism) and not by Jews.

However, the question remains how representative that street poll really is.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
There was a Youtube video in which some American was asking Israelis on street if their religion was more close to Christianity or Islam and almost all of them replied Islam , much to the shock of westerns in comment section. It made me think whether the American notion of "Judeo-Christian values" is established on any solid grounds?. What exactly are Judeo-Christians values or morals in the eyes of Americans?. Sure Torah is part of Bible but Christians dont follow Torah and Thalmud (and if i am not wrong, New testament consider laws and morals of old testament to be invalid) . Moreover Jews consider Christians to be heretics. deviants and polytheists . So did American-Christians take Jews into confidence before coining the word Judeo-Christian?
"Judeo-Christian values" to Americans is based on what they believe, and not based upon what Jews believe. The term is rather a recent one, and is slowly going out of fashion.

A much more appropriate term would be "Helleno-Christian values" for the West, including USA.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Because more than half the Christian Bible, the d Testament, is the exact same as the Jewish Bible (Tankh), Christians share many of the same moral values and share many of the same stories. The NT does not reject the Old Testament , much of the NT consist of quotes from the OT. What the NT rejected was adherence to Jewish rituals as being no longer necessary. The moral teachings of the OT are still accepted by Christians.

The Christian Protestant groups that settled America had a strong Old Testament bent, more so than for Catholics I think, and Old Testament biblical names are popular in America, as are some Old Testamenf themes, like being the chosen people. The OT Ten Commandments have an important place in the US.

Islam shares similar stories with Christianity and Judaism, but Koran versions are different, in some cases quite different. For example, it is Ismael, not Isaac as in Jewish/Christian Bible, that the Koran presents as almost being made a sacrifice by Abraham.

Islam kept some of the rituals of Judaism, like circumcism, which made it in that regard more like Judaism, but added other elements that also made it more different from Judaism than Christisnity. The ritual pilgrimage is absent from Judaism, as is the ritual praying 5 times a day. And Christian worship services have more in common with Jewish religious services than the Muslim prayer sessions. Music plays an important role in both Christian and Jewish worship, but for the most part very little role in Muslim worship.

Aug 2014
pakistan
Because more than half the Christian Bible, the d Testament, is the exact same as the Jewish Bible (Tankh), Christians share many of the same moral values and share many of the same stories. The NT does not reject the Old Testament , much of the NT consist of quotes from the OT. What the NT rejected was adherence to Jewish rituals as being no longer necessary. The moral teachings of the OT are still accepted by Christians.

The Christian Protestant groups that settled America had a strong Old Testament bent, more so than for Catholics I think, and Old Testament biblical names are popular in America, as are some Old Testamenf themes, like being the chosen people. The OT Ten Commandments have an important place in the US.

Islam shares similar stories with Christianity and Judaism, but Koran versions are different, in some cases quite different. For example, it is Ismael, not Isaac as in Jewish/Christian Bible, that the Koran presents as almost being made a sacrifice by Abraham.

Islam kept some of the rituals of Judaism, like circumcism, which made it in that regard more like Judaism, but added other elements that also made it more different from Judaism than Christisnity. The ritual pilgrimage is absent from Judaism, as is the ritual praying 5 times a day. And Christian worship services have more in common with Jewish religious services than the Muslim prayer sessions. Music plays an important role in both Christian and Jewish worship, but for the most part very little role in Muslim worship.
Actually Quran does not mention name of the son of Abraham who was almost being sacrificed by Abraham. Replacement of Isaac with Ishmael in hadiths could be product of Arab nationalism during Ummayid and Abbasid times as Quresh and northern Arabs considered themselves progeny of Ishmael.

The thing is what Jews themselves has to say about Christians (American-Christians to be precise)?. I find family structure and values of Jews very similar to Muslims or should i say easterns (including non-Muslims like Indians ). American-Christians on the other hand are barely family people. The concept of family is lost on American-Christians. They are individuals with individualistic life style with little concept of family. Extended family is absent from the scene, no concept of respect for elderly etc.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Actually Quran does not mention name of the son of Abraham who was almost being sacrificed by Abraham. Replacement of Isaac with Ishmael in hadiths could be product of Arab nationalism during Ummayid and Abbasid times as Quresh and northern Arabs considered themselves progeny of Ishmael.

The thing is what Jews themselves has to say about Christians (American-Christians to be precise)?. I find family structure and values of Jews very similar to Muslims or should i say easterns (including non-Muslims like Indians ). American-Christians on the other hand are barely family people. The concept of family is lost on American-Christians. They are individuals with individualistic life style with little concept of family. Extended family is absent from the scene, no concept of respect for elderly etc.

American Jews families are very much like their non Jewish counterparts. And many Christian groups have strong family ties, you should see "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". In the US, because people have moved around a lot, the fsmily groups tended to be more compact, less extensive. It is hard to have extensive families when you are scattered across the wilderness in half a dozen different states.

Nov 2016
Germany
Because more than half the Christian Bible, the d Testament, is the exact same as the Jewish Bible (Tankh), Christians share many of the same moral values and share many of the same stories.
It´s a pity that your arguments are often so vague and therefore rather non-substantial.

* What´s means "the same moral values"? Which values do you refer to? The ten Commandments? Most of them are shared by all cultures. Obeying to the "Law" (commandments) counts a lot in Judaism but very little in Christianity since without faith in Jesus Christ neither obeying to the Law nor any good works have any value. Therefore the "same moral values" stand in very different contexts.

* They share "the same stories" but put them in totally different contexts. So it´s not exactly the "same stories" because of the different contexts.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
I would like to note that you have a wrong premise in your OP. The premise that are solely or mostly the “Americans”, presumably you are even refereeing only the Americans from the USA, that have the concept of the “Judeo-Christian” values, well they aren’t the only ones, the Europeans, the Americans from other parts of the American continent, and people all over the world use that concept, it is a widely used one, even if probably more used among Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. By the way the concept even makes more since to this last two a-religious groups, since is a concept that agglutinates the mainstream concepts of two monotheist religions and even as you say there are significant differences between the Old and the New testament, or if you prefer between Jews and Christians, there are also links (that even are common with other religions).

For instance many of the ten commandants can be widely accepted and are an integral part of that “Judeo-Christian values”: “Honour your father and your mother; You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour; You shall not covet.”