Why Americans use the word "Judeo-Christian values"?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
The term Judeo Christian seemed to have been invented or popularized after the Holocaust, which saw hundreds of millions of Christians support The Third Reich. While otoh the Allied side had hundreds of millions of Christians standing against the Reich. A more appropriate modern term to use might be the religions of Abraham when talking about Judaism, Islam, and Christianity. The term Judeo Christian was perhaps invented to try and bring Jews and Christians together after the crimes committed by Christians against Jews in the Holocaust.

Let us always remember that all people have free will, when it comes to Americans, Jews, Pakistanis, Indians, Arabs, Israeli, Chinese we can not lump each group together as one. There is a great amount of diversity among the various religious and ethnic groups of the world.

Christian Americans are Christians, they do not follow Judeo Christian values, they follow Christianity and they will tell you this. Its taking heads in the media that use that term Judeo Christian. They might as well start using the term Judeo Islamo values..these types of terms are recent inventions, similar to the terms Jihadist, Islamist...radical Christian and more. These types of terms are not found throughout the middle ages.

Truth is we have Jewish values, Muslim values, and Christian values. In the USA most Christians will tell you that the country was founded on Christian values, where as for example Israelis will tell you Israel was founding on Jewish values, Saudis will say Saudi Arabia was founded on Muslim values.

Most Jews, Christians and Muslims stand for freedom, it is evident. In the USA, 30 % of Muslims intermarry, 50 % of Jews intermarry. All around the world even in countries with intolerant Government like Israeli, Saudi, Pakistan and Yemen, most of those people want freedom but also they will not be using terms like Judeo Christian values or Judeo Islamo values.

To solidify this issue...Visit a Catholic Church in America my friend, and these Catholic Americans(Catholics represents the majority of all Christians like how Sunnis represent majority of Muslims) will tell you Jesus, Our Lord and Savior provided the Christian message of love and tolerance to the world. Also visit a Protestant Church, The Protestants which btw are honorable Christians will tell you their religion is not Islam or Judaism, but is Christianity.

Finally Judaism and Islam have similar teachings compared to Christianity. But perhaps as this thread may point out, we dont need to use fake terms like Judeo Christian or Judeo Islamo.

I believe any good person can get into heaven, I say this because a # of leaders from all three religions of Abraham agree on this point.
As some posters have pointed out, different groups of Abrahamic faiths disagree over many issues.
The Chinese term is 党同伐异 (the same party that attacks dissidents).
Then, the interesting thought is “党外无党,帝王思想;党内无派,千奇百怪”(It is despotic thinking if there are no parties out of the party; it is weird not having divisions within the party. )
This applies to religions quite a bit, and these divisions are only natural.

In the American past the divorce rate was below 5 %. The divorce rate in The USA is now over 50%. So to your point yes we Americans do have some work to do.

That said greed and materialism is a worldwide issue. Greed and injustice is a bigger issue in countries like Pakistan and Israel compared To The United States. While the family spirit could be better in The USA , it is still better in The USA compared to Pakistan, Saudi and Israel clearly shown by the freedoms Americans enjoy while so many others in the world languish in poverty and injustice. The people of Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel, Yemen and all over the world they see what we have in The USA and they admire us. It is evidenced by the fact that immigrants all around the world want to immigrate to The USA. Yes we have work to do, but The USA is the greatest country in the world at this moment in history.
We have economic issues at hand; the 99% movement is probably an exaggeration.
Some may suggest that Canada may enjoy better quality of life in comparison with the USA.

Nov 2017
Győr
"Judeo-Christian values" to Americans is based on what they believe, and not based upon what Jews believe. The term is rather a recent one, and is slowly going out of fashion.

A much more appropriate term would be "Helleno-Christian values" for the West, including USA.
Helleno-Christian values can not fit to the real West, because the real West (Catholic-Protestant world) had not much common with the Hellenism during medieval period until the appear of renaissance. Even muslims were closer to hellenism (and greco-Roman cultural herritage) than the medieval Christian West.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
There was a Youtube video in which some American was asking Israelis on street if their religion was more close to Christianity or Islam and almost all of them replied Islam , much to the shock of westerns in comment section. It made me think whether the American notion of "Judeo-Christian values" is established on any solid grounds?. What exactly are Judeo-Christians values or morals in the eyes of Americans?. Sure Torah is part of Bible but Christians dont follow Torah and Thalmud (and if i am not wrong, New testament consider laws and morals of old testament to be invalid) . Moreover Jews consider Christians to be heretics. deviants and polytheists . So did American-Christians take Jews into confidence before coining the word Judeo-Christian?
The term is more political than based on religious substance and is used by a particular part of the Christian, Jewish and/or American communities that tend to support Israeli policy(some simply might be using the term to refer to the US and Israel)and who see Islamic values abroad and Secular values domestically as a threat to traditional "Judeo-Christian" values they favor. When you see politicans and public figures use the term they almost all fit a pretty specific ideological mold. This ideological mold has been and is very influential in the US government thus the label is very widely used.

The term makes sense within the context of the worldview of the people who tend to use it and that worldview is necessary to make the term make sense. See a tendency religious factions to label their beliefs and the beliefs of a general religious community interchangeably despite it not being consensus(likely due to No True Scotsman like reasoning or just not thinking about other groups), and this would be an example of that.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Europix
The term is more political than based on religious substance and is used by a particular part of the Christian, Jewish and/or American communities that tend to support Israeli policy(some simply might be using the term to refer to the US and Israel)and who see Islamic values abroad and Secular values domestically as a threat to traditional "Judeo-Christian" values they favor. When you see politicans and public figures use the term they almost all fit a pretty specific ideological mold. This ideological mold has been and is very influential in the US government thus the label is very widely used.

The term makes sense within the context of the worldview of the people who tend to use it and that worldview is necessary to make the term make sense. See a tendency religious factions to label their beliefs and the beliefs of a general religious community interchangeably despite it not being consensus(likely due to No True Scotsman like reasoning or just not thinking about other groups), and this would be an example of that.
The term is used in Europe by non-political circles too, in cultural/philosophical areas and not necessarily related with the opinion with the state of Israel.

It's basically about taking into account the role of the Christianism (and adding Judeo- as christianism originate from Judaism and also for the important role of Jews) in shaping Europe in all aspects.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
I would like to note that you have a wrong premise in your OP. The premise that are solely or mostly the “Americans”, presumably you are even refereeing only the Americans from the USA, that have the concept of the “Judeo-Christian” values, well they aren’t the only ones, the Europeans, the Americans from other parts of the American continent, and people all over the world use that concept, it is a widely used one, even if probably more used among Christians, Agnostics and Atheists. By the way the concept even makes more since to this last two a-religious groups, since is a concept that agglutinates the mainstream concepts of two monotheist religions and even as you say there are significant differences between the Old and the New testament, or if you prefer between Jews and Christians, there are also links (that even are common with other religions).

For instance many of the ten commandants can be widely accepted and are an integral part of that “Judeo-Christian values”: “Honour your father and your mother; You shall not murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour; You shall not covet.”
It was the Americans that came up with the term "Judeo-Christianity" and that term is mostly used in American political and religious circles. I do rarely hear or read this term outside that context, and if I heard it somewhere, I clearly notice an American influence.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Helleno-Christian values can not fit to the real West, because the real West (Catholic-Protestant world) had not much common with the Hellenism during medieval period until the appear of renaissance. Even muslims were closer to hellenism (and greco-Roman cultural herritage) than the medieval Christian West.
Christianity in itself is an Hellenic religion with Jewish roots. Jesus Christ didn't create Christianity, this is the religion of Paul and Constantine.

Nov 2016
Germany
Everybody having them isn't relevant in this case: today's Christians have them from the Jews, not from the Chinese, Hindi or Incas
One has to distinguish the religious from the social commandments. The latter are valid in practically all cultures with patriarchal social structure, also in the days of early Judaism and Christianity, including those gentile people who became Christian at some time. So you can´t say Christians have them "from the Jews", you can only say that those rules were and are part of Jewish and Christian education, as they were and are part of the education in most cultures.

Apart from this, the religious commandments of Judaism were by no way faithfully followed by Christianity.

+ Jesus has God-like status, what is a clear transgression of the commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me".

+ The commandment Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image has often been transgressed in Christian culture, see Jn 12:45 "The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me", what means that God is visible in the flesh of Jesus (a totally false idea in the view of Judaism), or artistic representations like those:

God on a Throne, Germany:

1545587626520.png

Michelangelo:

1545587478575.png

Murillo:

1545587556763.png

Cima da Conegliano:

1545587392205.png

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
It was the Americans that came up with the term "Judeo-Christianity" and that term is mostly used in American political and religious circles. I do rarely hear or read this term outside that context, and if I heard it somewhere, I clearly notice an American influence.
I didn’t knew who coined the concept in an ethical perspective, apparently, according to Wikipedia, it was the English writer George Orwell, but Friedrich Nietzsche already had his cogitations about it in the “Antichrist” (the things that we find in Wikipedia!):

Judeo-Christian - Wikipedia

I don’t deny the development of the concept in the USA, but it was widely used in Portugal in some academic circles, even of French influence. Probably the first time that I heard about the concept was some 30 years ago in Coimbra. Anyway with or without the USA influence in the theme, it is pretty restrictive to threat it as solely a USA “thing”, as already pointed in the last post by Deaf Turner.