Why are Hong Kongers all of a suddenly protesting for democracy when they were never a democracy?

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Larry said:
The Hongkongers have been taking to the streets by the tens of thousands for months , because those street protests are the ONLY manifestation of a Hongkong public opinion that is even possible under the current system.
What other manisfestation of public opinion do the Hongkongers not have? Give a specific example. Are you claiming HK people aren't allowed to talk about it,, write about it, put up fliers about it, but they're allowed to protest about it?

At Each Kilometer said:
@HackneyedScribe i do understand why you posted #143. I suspect that the utter disrespect towards this old lady is quite repulsive to you (and to me to be honest). Most of the people here see a confrontation between a person and a group, but failed to comprehend the importance of the age of this lady in this conflict (cultural differences?). I am not interested about the current situation in Hong Kong all i see is an elder mistreated by youngsters and the little i know about China (mostly ancient and medieval history) this is simply unacceptable.
No kidding, it's not the only example. It shouldn't be acceptable in any culture:

Last edited:
Reactions: No Bias FTW

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
It's Carrie Lam , Chief executive of the Hong Kong special administrative Region of the people republic of China
she has been nominated by China in a position equivalent to the old governor office
she was "elected " by 800 chosen citizens then approved by Beijing People's Congress Standing Committee

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
It's Carrie Lam , Chief executive of the Hong Kong special administrative Region of the people republic of China
she has been nominated by China in a position equivalent to the old governor office
she was "elected " by 800 chosen citizens then approved by Beijing People's Congress Standing Committee
Carrie Lam was nominated by the election committee of hk
"by china" is vastly a meaningless term as it refers to nothing. for example, powers are dived in china, the central government, the people's congress, military commission and the president are all divided.
here nomination of carrie lam was not done by central government or military commission/president.
nomination rights is granted by the people's congress, the election committee (of 1200 people) of hk is permitted to carry out nomination on behave of people's congress.

the nomination generates more than 1 person for election. and all joins in debate in public, broadcast via TV, before voting

the the elected chief is then given appointment to the one win the voting. the appointment is carried out by the central government on behave of the people's congress. the hk special administrative region is an extension of the central government. this appointment is an approve of the extension, for that, the central government is allowed to propose objection about the candidate in the people's congress

throughout the whole procedure, it is mainly about people's congress and central gov, president and military commission almost do not join.

if anyone not familiar with chinese administration system, one should learn the shift of chinese governments, especially on the shifts happening among song, yuan and to ming time.
do not use your prejudiced idea to try to understand chinese rules.
remember china has the longest history of bureaucratic system, which you cannot expect to be all function in the way you are familiar with.