Why are people who learned in faculties of Humanieties and social "sciences" more dumb / less intelligent than people who learned in the STEM sector?

Status
Closed
Nov 2017
Győr
Provide proof of your statement please.
People who are good literature history arts etc in grammar schools.. are usually dumb in sciences and math, that's why they do not chose STEM related universities, despite STEM provides higher salaries. They don't need to use their brain for thinking much, they just simply memorize things.... (sounds dumb but that's the sad reality)
We can not call those people intelligent who are not good in match physics Chemistry etc.. , because they have low so-called "performance IQ".

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Well, I've studied both a science subject and humanities subjects at university level and can tell you that it's absolute nonsense to claim that one demands less use of the brain than the other. Although I would qualify that by saying that some so-called subjects in the humanities are lacking in intellectual rigour (the saying goes that one should avoid anything that has 'studies' in the title!), and it can be easier in some (not all) areas of the humanities to bump along by rote learning than in the sciences, though not to reach any high level of expertise. It is of course a fact that some people who choose the humanities aren't good at scientific subjects or maths (I would never have made a good scientist because my maths is so bad), but that goes both ways, I have met good scientists who are idiots when it comes to any form of philosophical reflection or artistic appreciation, we use our brain in all kinds of different ways.

Nov 2017
Győr
Well, I've studied both a science subject and humanities subjects at university level and can tell you that it's absolute nonsense to claim that one demands less use of the brain than the other. Although I would qualify that by saying that some so-called subjects in the humanities are lacking in intellectual rigour (the saying goes that one should avoid anything that has 'studies' in the title!), and it can be easier in some (not all) areas of the humanities to bump along by rote learning than in the sciences, though not to reach any high level of expertise. It is of course a fact that some people who choose the humanities aren't good at scientific subjects or maths (I would never have made a good scientist because my maths is so bad), but that goes both ways, I have met good scientists who are idiots when it comes to any form of philosophical reflection or artistic appreciation, we use our brain in all kinds of different ways.

So why are the scientist on a very high level of esteem in societal/global level? Why physicists and mathematicians come to the mind of common people at first, when they are asked to name a genius?

One of the greatest British historian was A.J.P Taylor, but who knows him among common people? But if you mention Einsten, Gauss Newton.... It is a different level. STEM subjects and their historic stars have superiority in recognition. They are the symbols of clever and intelligent people.

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Additionally, I know people in the hard sciences who cannot properly construct a sentence, let alone a paragraph or report. Also, many are not skilled at the the art of succinctly and effectively orally communicating.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
It sounds like a very frustrated answer :)))
No. The OP is an indicator of a very frustrated person, bitter that he can't convince others of his arguments, so he makes an outlandish statement with no substantiation. However, you do quite a bit of that, don't you. I am not the one crying about others and insulting them. Life must be hard for you. ;) If you are such a hater of soft sciences, why do you continually post on a history forum? Sounds like you are confused.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions