Why are tattoos so popular ? (or is it just my imagination?)

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I have a tattoo, just one.. A souvenir of New Year's Eve 1969, Singapore. I have regretted it since 1 January 1970. Very unobtrusive, right upper arm, and is covered by t shirts. I've always been embarrassed by it.Today it seems I am constantly surrounded by ink; full sleeves, legs, backs, chests, even hands, necks and faces (I still think non tribal people with hand and/or facial tattoos are strange)

This love of ink seems most noticeable on entertainers of both sexes. Thankfully, quite a few seem to have been done by an actual artist. Oddly, I have always admired the irezumi, favoured by Yakuza, as works of art.. (tattoos are considered vulgar and disreputable in Japan, possibly because of the Yakuza link.)

YES,I know it's really none of my business, and wrong of me to judge anyone, for that ,or any other reason.

I'm trying to understand the motivation: peer pressure, fashion, rebellion, craving for attention, or what?

It's just that tattoos are permanent, or at least painful and expensive to remove.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
I have a tattoo, just one.. A souvenir of New Year's Eve 1969, Singapore. I have regretted it since 1 January 1970. Very unobtrusive, right upper arm, and is covered by t shirts. I've always been embarrassed by it.Today it seems I am constantly surrounded by ink; full sleeves, legs, backs, chests, even hands, necks and faces (I still think non tribal people with hand and/or facial tattoos are strange)

This love of ink seems most noticeable on entertainers of both sexes. Thankfully, quite a few seem to have been done by an actual artist. Oddly, I have always admired the irezumi, favoured by Yakuza, as works of art.. (tattoos are considered vulgar and disreputable in Japan, possibly because of the Yakuza link.)

YES,I know it's really none of my business, and wrong of me to judge anyone, for that ,or any other reason.

I'm trying to understand the motivation: peer pressure, fashion, rebellion, craving for attention, or what?

It's just that tattoos are permanent, or at least painful and expensive to remove.
While not so much in the West, tattoos are considered signs of "less desirable parts of the society", especially in Hong Kong, where gang membership is quite rampant.
Even though expensive, quite a few people remove their tattoos due to the negative perceptions and employment requirements.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
It's just a trend in the western world at the moment. Not so long ago tattoos were mainly the preserve of military personnel, bikies and criminals, but over the last couple of decades they have become a sign of cutting edge trendiness eagerly embraced by those who feel the need to look exciting and edgy. Unfortunately fashions change but a tattoo is effectively forever. What looks cool on a 20 year old today will look rather ridiculous on a 60 year old in the future, especially as the ink will fade and blur with age.

Feb 2016
Japan
I have 3.
I’d have more if I hadn’t moved to Japan.

There are modern tattooists here, and the traditional sort too.... but the cost here is 3-4 times as much as in the UK.

Similar History Discussions