Why are tattoos so popular ? (or is it just my imagination?)

While we're bashing recent fashion trends, extreme hair dying. Whatever happened to dying your hair brown, red, blonde or black? Now we get every colour imaginable and unimaginable, sometimes all of them at the same time.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
While we're bashing recent fashion trends, extreme hair dying. Whatever happened to dying your hair brown, red, blonde or black? Now we get every colour imaginable and unimaginable, sometimes all of them at the same time.
Not quite the same thing; hair colouring can grow out or be changed. I quite like some of the wild colours.

There was once a caveat about frequent use of hair colouring, not sure if it's still true ,or indeed if it ever was.--That frequent use can make your hair fall out. I've never had the nerve to dye my hair to my preferred colour; chestnut red. A bit late now, as there isn't all that much hair left, at least on the llid..

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Not quite the same thing; hair colouring can grow out or be changed. I quite like some of the wild colours.

There was once a caveat about frequent use of hair colouring, not sure if it's still true ,or indeed if it ever was.--That frequent use can make your hair fall out. I've never had the nerve to dye my hair to my preferred colour; chestnut red. A bit late now, as there isn't all that much hair left, at least on the llid..
I used to dye my hair purplish with henna when I was in high school and college and spike it, but yeah nothing to really dye anymore. Head tattoo? Spray paint? Dunno..

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I used to dye my hair purplish with henna when I was in high school and college and spike it, but yeah nothing to really dye anymore. Head tattoo? Spray paint? Dunno..

Really? What a rebel

I went to a catholic boys school. That kind of behaviour was simply beyond the pale. The school would make you change it, or you could leave. Being a one sex school may have been partly responsible for the extreme homophobia; Dying hairr would be tantamount to admitting you were "a poof" or 'queer', a disaster at a time when homosexuality was considered a perversion and homosexual acts were illegal.

There were NO openly gay boys at my school of 800 boys, and none that I noticed. They all managed to stay deep in the closet.

Apr 2017
Bayreuth
(...) .. A souvenir of New Year's Eve 1969, Singapore. I have regretted it since 1 January 1970. (...)
I have 3.
I’d have more if I hadn’t moved to Japan.
I got that beat. It's a moreay eel. Bit right through my wetsuit.
Well, Hoop, now, listen. I don't know about that but I ended an arm werstling contest in an Oke bar in San Francisco. You see this? Now I can't extend that. Do you know why? Get to the semi-final, celebrating my third wife Demise. Big Chinese fella. He pulled me right over.
I got the creme de la cerme. Right here. Hold on. You see that?
You'r wearing a sweater.
Right there. Mary Ellen Moffit. She broke my heart.

(...)
I'm trying to understand the motivation: peer pressure, fashion, rebellion, craving for attention, or what?
It's just that tattoos are permanent, or at least painful and expensive to remove.
(sings)
Farewell and adieu you fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu to your ladies of Spain...

In the ol' days - guys walked the walk - today all they are doing is talking the talk. Remember in Verdun - 1916 - there was this British fellow with a unicorn tattoo - you knew that guy lived. He scared the living daylights out of us... today... this is just a different generation. If some guy from Yorkshire with a unicorn tattoo would jump into your trench with a spade - you would maybe think poor choice of taste or to much Harry Potter. But back then... That was like having written Conan on your forehead.

(sings along) Now show me the way to go home... I am tired and I want to go to bed... Once we feared men with unicorn tattoos, but what you do shoots over my head!^^
Cheers.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
Should I suggest that tattoo removals are quite popular as well? Many interviewers look at tattoed job candidates with suspicions (at the very least).
Even right in Canada, people often associate tattoos with suspicious social associations.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Guys walking the walk? Not MY generation, the hippies, the Beatles and like that.. We were world class bullshitters , but didn't actually accomplish all that much .Giving the pill to teenagers certainly meant a lot fewer teen pregnancies AND a LOT more STD's

When I was Malaysia, a buddha stick of weed was $1 local, about 30. Me? I'm allergic, weed makes me violently ill. Have you any idea what it's like being the only sober person in a room full of friends off their tits? It's REALLY fracking annoying.

WE were going to change the world ,and haven't we done a bang up job. Donald Trump is from my generation. Need I say more?.

Removing tattoos ? Don't they use lasers now? I would think that would be painful and expensive.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
If you are dying your hair a color that if would never be in real life for your ethnic group, is it any more wrong to dye it blue than red if you are an Sub Saharsn African or Japanese? Both are pretty unnatural dor youd particular group

Not many natural blondes of red heads in Korea. For much of the world, red or blonde is as unnatural as blue or violet. Also, a distinctive hair color .can make you more distinctive, stand out more. Like wearing bright color clothes. Wearing a vivid orange suit isn't to.my taste, but if some like it, I don't see why it should matter to me. Just wouldn't wear it at a funeral or job interview though.

Similar History Discussions