Why are the Italians so underrated?

Apr 2018
West
Italy has been brilliant in all aspects of Human knowledge and creation, in Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Modern times, Contemporary times. I love Italy. From Cicero to Enrico Fermi, travelling through Fibonacci, Michel Angelo, Da Vinci, and Galileo.

Apr 2018
West
Because they are not?

Italian merchants, Italian Renaisance, Machiavelli?

The Islamic golden age, the mathematical golden age of India, even the surprisingly good math of China gets glossed over more than Italy does. How is Italy underrated?
Italian scientific contributions have been more important than those of China and India, let's not even talk of Italian legacy compared to the Islamic World.

Galileo basically pathed the way to Newton and physics as we know them. Indian maximum contribution was the numerical system but that's it.

After Galileo we had Lagrange (Italian), Volta, Fermi... Let's not forget about mathematics and proportions linked to architecture with the italians. No, you can put the Italian contributions and the Islamic contributions at the same level.

If Islam had a golden age Lagrange was platinum.

Nov 2018
Moscow
Italian culture is one of the best in the world and is really undervalued.
In general, Italy is a cool country
I liked everything there - food, nature, football, the atmosphere, etc.
I want to move there to live
A friend advises to buy real estate and thus a residence permit
And says that a lot of money is also not necessary
I.e
Buy a house in Italy Houses for sale in Italy. Buy italian villas and cottages - Tranio and get a residence permit
So here is just
What do you think about this ??

Nov 2013
Texas
Italian scientific contributions have been more important than those of China and India, let's not even talk of Italian legacy compared to the Islamic World.

Galileo basically pathed the way to Newton and physics as we know them. Indian maximum contribution was the numerical system but that's it.

After Galileo we had Lagrange (Italian), Volta, Fermi... Let's not forget about mathematics and proportions linked to architecture with the italians. No, you can put the Italian contributions and the Islamic contributions at the same level.

If Islam had a golden age Lagrange was platinum.
That still doesn't make Italy underrated; Galileo etc. are still well advertised, not sure what your point is. Galileo, Volta, Fermi are about as famous as any other scientist of equal significance.

Indeed, I think Italy is overrated given that all Italy did in the Renaissance was get pushed around by Spain and Austria, and make some boring art, and produce a notable author in the form of Machiavelli. The north Italian merchant republics were underpopulated.

As for enlightenment Italy, OK, Galileo was very important; basically the founder of modern science insofar as any one man is. That's about it though

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Psychology says that envy is the main reason to underrate someone else ...

Being Italian I envy no one ... probably this is why I underrate no one.:think:

[This was psychological humor:cool:].

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Wessex
"Indeed, I think Italy is overrated given that all Italy did in the Renaissance was get pushed around by Spain and Austria, and make some boring art" - Italy as viewed from Texas.

Nov 2013
Texas
"Indeed, I think Italy is overrated given that all Italy did in the Renaissance was get pushed around by Spain and Austria, and make some boring art" - Italy as viewed from Texas.
True, Italy also got pushed around by France.

And although Italian art is boring, it does appeal to women for some reason. And textbooks, those same textbooks which are failing our students.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
We are still noting that the main reason why millions of tourists visit Paris is an Italian artwork ... a masterpiece ... the Mona Lisa ... when I'm in Paris I find it amusing to discuss this. How is it possible that a symbol of France is not a product of a French artist?

A mystery of history.

Nov 2013
Texas
We are still noting that the main reason why millions of tourists visit Paris is an Italian artwork ... a masterpiece ... the Mona Lisa ... when I'm in Paris I find it amusing to discuss this. How is it possible that a symbol of France is not a product of a French artist?

A mystery of history.
The Eifell Tower, the Louvre, Rodin and the Notre Dame Cathedrals are not as Italian as you think. The Mona Lisa is a boring painting by an overrated scholar (Leonardo Da Vinci.) It is not the only painting in France. There are, in fact, many paintings in France.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
The Eifell Tower, the Louvre, Rodin and the Notre Dame Cathedrals are not as Italian as you think. The Mona Lisa is a boring painting by an overrated scholar (Leonardo Da Vinci.) It is not the only painting in France. There are, in fact, many paintings in France.
So what?

As I've said, I don't underrate others. France has got a terrific cultural, historical and artistic treasure [I'm not rarely in Paris, just to say].

But how is this relevant with the Mona Lisa?

Is it a French artwork? No, it isn't.

Is it a motivation for millions of tourists to visit Paris? Yes it is.

Is it "Italian"? Yes "it is".

Actually Italy wasn't when Leonardo did it.