Why are there still American tourists in other countries even though we are hated?

Feb 2016
Prolink Town
Okay so I’ve been reading on why the world hates us and found this which much sums it all up.…click 0:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvXXmI13JI

But what blows my mind is that despite the majority of us knowing this which we should already because this has been going on for a long time now……. we still go to other places and pretend like it’s okay.….. it’s okay for them…… it’s okay for us.

“Oh they don’t hate us, only a few of them do”…. yeah few in your head!

Have some f****** dignity!

It’s f****** awkward and embarrassing. It’s like going to a party which you were not invited to and not only that but the host hates you.

It doesn’t matter where they come; the majority of them have the same opinion of us.

And honestly……………………………I don’t see this changing anymore.

Note:
Let me get one thing clear, there are always going to be exceptions that’s why I said “majority” so don’t go saying “Oh but as a person who has visited X country(ies) I don’t know what you are talking about”.

Also read the title carefully I said tourists, if you are going to visit family or for business then you are an exception.

Last edited:
Sep 2013
Ireland
Any Americans that I meet that come to Ireland have a great time and always comment on how welcome they feel. We usually have a great craic with them and find them very good company.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
There are certainly some Americans that give the rest a bad name... considering I have dual U.S. citizenship and have traveled a bit I actually feel ok often traveling on my U.S. Visa more lately then I did a few years ago but it still depends where I am going.

I find you usually get back what you give out when traveling so if people are being universally rude or impolite maybe check your own behavior. There are always a few exceptions as when I've been to France I have had universally poor experiences despite acting no different than in any other country.

France is really the only country I can think of where I've had bad experiences from people seeming to just randomly dislike me even before they can be sure where I'm from other than I am a foreigner.

Obviously U.S. policies aren't liked everywhere but due to the chaos in Ukraine, Syria, and a few other places more people now recognize that even if they don't like U.S. policies there are worse alternatives. Of course many people blame the U.S. for most of the bad situations getting to the state they have in the first place and if you look at U.S. history I don't think that is always wrong but neither is it exactly correct.

As for the ignorant comments... well I'd say a larger part of the U.S. population IS more ignorant than the average foreigner when traveling in that foreign country. It sorta has to be that way by definition and that can be universally applied to any foreigner traveling outside their culture.

The U.S. has an ignorance based on wealth and size- rarely do people in the U.S. care past what is happening in their neighborhood/town/city/state because in the U.S. there are 50 states many of which are larger than several counties.

Most foreigners I've met in the U.S. on their first visit think they understand the U.S. better than reality due to U.S. media exports and often display funny levels of ignorance.

Any Americans that I meet that come to Ireland have a great time and always comment on how welcome they feel. We usually have a great craic with them and find them very good company.
Yep, I had fantastic visit to Ireland a couple years ago. Funny that I happened to visit during a record bout of sunshine- more than 2 weeks of uninterrupted sun. I never saw so many sunburnt people! The best traveling companions I've met on the road have been Irish or New Zealanders as well so my opinion of Ireland is pretty positive.

Last edited:

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
It's a stereotype that began to lose any basis in the world of generalisms after 9/11 I'd say. Those who didn't travel well seemed to adjust from around then, from my own observations when travelling around the world. Most take people on face value regardless of where they come from and nationality is not a pre-determinant to being an ass. My own experience, other than a guy in Rome and one in Marrakesh has been wholly positive, and that's from meeting americans fairly regularly. If you really want to get to know americans, I'd say meet them in their own country where I've found them to be some of the most generous and big-hearted people I've ever came across. As you might have guessed by now, I kind of like them.

That's enough generalising for one day. Phew!

Last edited:

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
nah, the US tourists i've met were mostly nice, i don't think any particular prejudice is attached to them here. some of them a little bit strange (i often have the impression that Americans are from a different planet :p ) but usually harmless good folks. the packs of young Britons on the other hand... :lol:

Dec 2015
Newburg, Missouri
People by and large make a distinction between people and a government. I've met many people abroad in many countries; the overwhelming majority were very polite, kind, and helpful to me, though they may entertain bad opinions of some policies and actions of the U.S. government. I was robbed once in foreign country, and intentionally knocked to the floor once in a foreign country -- both times by fellow Americans, though.

Jun 2014
Republic of Ireland
Says it all as far as Ireland is concerned, they are always welcome.