Why are there wasp, black and latinos forums in US?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
People with similar interests and concerns will find each other. With the growth of identity politics, yes, people still often allign their interests and concerns along racial and ethnic lines. It's important to distinguish between imposed segregation, which is illegal and rare, and self-chosen segregation which is entirely voluntary. It's impossible to know how many people divide themselves along racial and ethnic lines. Forums for people who like movies, people who ride their bikes to work, people who like cats, etc generally don't ask for their members' racial or ethnic identity.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
People with similar interests and concerns will find each other. With the growth of identity politics, yes, people still often allign their interests and concerns along racial and ethnic lines. It's important to distinguish between imposed segregation, which is illegal and rare, and self-chosen segregation which is entirely voluntary. It's impossible to know how many people divide themselves along racial and ethnic lines. Forums for people who like movies, people who ride their bikes to work, people who like cats, etc generally don't ask for their members' racial or ethnic identity.
Good summary. :)

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In America, it is customary to divide people by skin color?
Probably because some people enjoy hanging around with other people who are similar to them--whether having the same race or skin color, having the same political views, having the same hobbies and interests, and/or et cetera.

antocya

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Iraq
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a self-described WASP forum. I think these days, groups that are Anglo-American are probably that way because of regional American geography and not because they want to be culturally specific WASP.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Actually WASP existed already in early XVII century and their nature [and the nature of the acronym] is simply historical.

At the beginning of the English colonial adventure in Northern America the "WASP" were the descendants of the first colonists from Great Britain, in particular from England [who were evidently Anglo Saxon, Protestant and white, at least this was their historical interpretation which was really near to reality, in my opinion]. So there is nothing racial in the acronym WASP, its nature is historical.

As for I know, there is a debate about the possibility to remove that "W". It wouldn't be a tragedy. At least this is my impression. An ASP would remain a descendant of early Anglo Saxon Protestant colonists from Great Britain. But generally I prefer to keep terms and definitions [and acronyms!] in their own historical context. So I see nothing wrong in the present usage of "WASP".

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Elaborating further the matter, if the OP makes reference to the "WASP" as something intrinsically reprehensible, actually FaceBook is full of groups of "descendants of". I'm member [as "original"] of an Argentinian group which substantially looks like the Argentinian version of a WASP group: Yo soy descendiente de Italianos [I'm descendant of Italians].

What I would like to underline is that similar groups are not based on a racial [and racist] differentiation, but on a historical origin.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
How do the Congregational Black Caucus and Congressional Hispanic Caucus fit into your scheme? Imposed or self-chosen?