Why are US whites so conservative relative to European whites?

Status
Closed

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Why are US whites so conservative relative to European whites? For instance, this is visible in the US's vibrant anti-abortion movement, vibrant anti-gun control movement, pro-death penalty movement, and vibrant anti-"big government" movement (these things began before 1991 and thus we can talk about them here)--thus explaining why the US is less generous in regards to things such as social welfare than at least some European countries are. On some issues, US whites and European whites aren't too different--for instance, there are nationalist and anti-immigration movements among both of these groups--but on the issues that I have listed above, US whites do appear to be rather different from European whites. The US's "go it alone" and "self-sufficiency" attitudes appear to be very different from those of European whites--and I'm wondering what exactly made US whites so conservative.

This was also an issue in the past when whites in the Southern and sometimes Western US supported Jim Crow whereas whites in the Northern US supported things such as restrictive covenants in order to keep blacks out of their neighborhoods. At the same time, though, the US historically had a much larger black percentage than European countries have and thus European countries' more tolerant historical attitudes towards race (for instance, no anti-miscegenation laws, with the exception of Nazi Germany) might have had more to do with the lack of people of color in their countries rather than due to genuinely more egalitarian beliefs in regards to race.

Still, as I wrote above, on some issues--such as abortion, gun rights, the death penalty, and opposition to "big government", US whites do appear to be relatively unique in comparison to whites in various other European countries--especially in continental Western Europe. What do you think explains this discrepancy?

Status
Closed