why arent Iranians and Afghans etc ashamed of being muslim,

Aug 2011
Sweden
Yes people all over the world leave one religion for another, this happens wrt Muslims in every country where there is Muslims. A human is capable of leaving or joining a religion anywhere on the planet regardless of man made laws.

Religious law is also open to interpretation. A so called Islamic country today in other words a country with a so called Sharia law system might not actually be correctly following Sharia law. Many Muslims have said The Quran allows civil freedoms in the same way the US Constitution does. In a world of over 1.5 billion Muslims, it is easy to find information on Muslim Imams and Scholars using Islamic references to show that Islam allows freedom of religion.

Islam is not the only religion used by Gov to enforce intolerant laws. Israeli leadership claim Judaism does not allow interfaith marriage. Yet in the USA 50 % of Jews intermarry and 30% of Muslims intermarry.

No Compulsion in Religion
The Holy Quran altogether excludes compulsion from the sphere of religion. It lays down in the clearest words:

“There is no compulsion in religion — the right way is indeed clearly distinct from error.”— 2:256
In fact, the Holy Quran is full of statements showing that belief in this or that religion is a person’s own concern, and that he is given the choice of adopting one way or another. If he accepts the truth, it is for his own good, and that, if he sticks to error, it is to his own detriment. Some quotations to this effect are given below:

“The Truth is from your Lord; so let him who please believe and let him who please disbelieve.” — 18:29
“We have truly shown him the way; he may be thankful or unthankful.” — 76:3
“Clear proofs have indeed come to you from your Lord: so whoever sees, it is for his own good; and whoever is blind, it is to his own harm. And I am not a keeper over you.” — 6:104
“If you do good, you do good for your own souls. And if you do evil, it is for them.” — 17:7
Religious freedom in Islam. No punishment for apostasy.

Within the Quran, there is no text that forbids the freedom of expression, limits it to certain extents, or suppresses it by any means. On the contrary, the Quran encourages people to discuss matters openly, protest, accept ideas or reject them, and bring about all pretexts and evidences that might be available to contest Islamic teachings.

The Quran does not force people to adopt Islam, oblige them to do so, or punish them if they do not. Islam does not force anyone: one has the freedom to believe or not, and faith remains one’s choice.

Freedom of Expression from the Islamic Perspective
I know intolerance is found in other religions. But don't bring up christians or jews or whatever every time problems in Islam is discussed. It's like one have to bring up Islam every time some other religion is discussed.

And one can always find the right quote in any religious text.....theory and practice you know.

Dec 2015
USA
I know intolerance is found in other religions. But don't bring up christians or jews or whatever every time problems in Islam is discussed. It's like one have to bring up Islam every time some other religion is discussed.

And one can always find the right quote in any religious text.....theory and practice you know.
Anti Muslims sometimes claim that Islam is a uniquely violent religion, or that Islam is the most violent religion in the world. And they base this for example on how a segment of Muslims act today or even how some Muslim majority countries have a intolerant form of Sharia Law . This anti Muslim approach makes it a necessity to remind that other religious people promote their religion as one that promotes intolerance. Most importantly though the question you posed about Islam and Apostasy has been addressed, the comparison of Muslims to Christians or Muslims to Jews is merely an add on to the argument.

In response to the anti religious cherry picking argument...in other words how anti Muslim folks say well anyone can cherry pick the Quran to make Islam look good.... The arguments put forth by the sources itt say that the general teachings of Islam promote religious freedom.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Religion being a great mystery to me, I can't understand why so many people enslave themselves to a series of fairy stories, or 'rules' made up by someone else and interpreted thousands of times over.

Seems to be all 3 Abrahamic religions are basically very intolerant (or have been) of people who don't want to join, or want to leave, their 'club'.

Aug 2011
Sweden
Anti Muslims sometimes claim that Islam is a uniquely violent religion, or that Islam is the most violent religion in the world. And they base this for example on how a segment of Muslims act today or even how some Muslim majority countries have a intolerant form of Sharia Law . This anti Muslim approach makes it a necessity to remind that other religious people promote their religion as one that promotes intolerance. Most importantly though the question you posed about Islam and Apostasy has been addressed, the comparison of Muslims to Christians or Muslims to Jews is merely an add on to the argument.

In response to the anti religious cherry picking argument...in other words how anti Muslim folks say well anyone can cherry pick the Quran to make Islam look good.... The arguments put forth by the sources itt say that the general teachings of Islam promote religious freedom.
Never been anti anything here. So just leave that please. I look forward to religious freedom in muslim dominated countries in the future, based on your honest answers. A person should always be judged by what she does, not was she says or writes.

Dec 2015
USA
Never been anti anything here. So just leave that please. I look forward to religious freedom in muslim dominated countries in the future, based on your honest answers. A person should always be judged by what she does, not was she says or writes.
I dont believe you are anti anything. I was arguing that anti Muslims want us to view Islam in a certain manner.

Who knows what the future beholds, hopefully it is good.

Does your answer include the possibility of people openly leaving Islamic faith?
Lol! You still can't answer a simple question 'stark' asked: In which islamic country is it legal to leave Islam?
You can lol in vain all you want but I made my answer clear so for the final time, Yes! it isn't illegal to not be a muslim in any country that I'm aware of, that includes being presumed a muslim and then "not being one".

So I've answered it, twice now, if you suspect otherwise please show, say and prove what country in this world states that by law an individual citizen of that country MUST be a muslim?

........... because I've never heard of such a ridiculous accusation, so I'd like some factual basis for that question please?

If this was true they'd be the subject of ridicule by the UN for human rights violations ........... but don't let that stop Kandal from coming up with his usual anti-Islam theories and agenda.

What's next Kandal, Islamic countries forces its citizens to eat cats and dogs? blink only twenty times a day, only allowed to be awake for 10 hrs a day?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Another one to avoid the question. We can keep christians and muslims apart for some seconds here. Can you answer in which moderate muslim country it is okay to leave islam, to be for example an atheist?
Azerbaijan.

And invoking atheism like this means you shifting the goal-posts when gainsaid. You don't have to like it, but that was childish.

Aug 2014
pakistan
On the topic, the question is nonsensical as far as Afghans are concerned because we dont know the pre-Islamic history of Afghans (i.e Pashtuns). They were definitely not converted at the point of sword by Arabs because Arabs did not conquer their difficult hilly country and as late as 10th century, they were largely non-Muslims, following some Hindu-like pagan religion. Even in 12th century, some of them appeared to be non-Muslims as evident from some sources (they are mentioned as infidels). We dont know in which manner they were converted to Islam. Afghans are barely mentioned before 15th century. Abu Fazal in 16th century informs us that Afghans claim to be Bani Israel. So in 16th century, an Afghan believed that his ancestors were even monotheists before Prophet Muhammad and that they were always Muslims and believers of Allah/God (as Muslims believe that followers of various Prophets were also 'Muslims' and that Adam was the first Musalman).

Aug 2011
Sweden
Azerbaijan.

And invoking atheism like this means you shifting the goal-posts when gainsaid. You don't have to like it, but that was childish.
Not at all. Atheism was just an example like anything else and nothing to worry about. And keep your remarks to yourself please. Then Azerbaijan can be an example for other muslim countries. Very good.

Similar History Discussions