Why Aren't the Buffalo Extinct?

Status
Closed
Aug 2016
US&A
If ancient Americans made the horse extinct, why didn't they make other large plains-dwelling animals that run in herds extinct, like buffalo, pronghorns etc?

Where did ancient American horses roam?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
You know what I mean.:evil:
No, I don’t.

I see at least two possibilities.

If there are some leads that point to the possibility that were the pre-Columbian Americans that made the horse extinct, than we have a possible thesis, that is why I asked if you have some kind of sources.

If you don’t have any tip about it, then it is a speculative reasoning that you are asking. And all the reasoning would be built on a non substantiated premise. Probably in this case the thread would be more adequate to the Speculative subforum.

Pre-Columbian American history is far away from my comfort zone, so I asked you if there is any ground to that premise.

Aug 2016
US&A
No, I don’t.

I see at least two possibilities.

If there are some leads that point to the possibility that were the pre-Columbian Americans that made the horse extinct, than we have a possible thesis, that is why I asked if you have some kind of sources.

If you don’t have any tip about it, then it is a speculative reasoning that you are asking. And all the reasoning would be built on a non substantiated premise. Probably in this case the thread would be more adequate to the Speculative subforum.

Pre-Columbian American history is far away from my comfort zone, so I asked you if there is any ground to that premise.
Here are some sources.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/05/0511_ancienthorses.html

https://www.livescience.com/717-humans-wiped-wild-horses.html

I thought it was fairly common information that humans may have wiped out horses in America. That was why I assumed you were just saying "how can you prove that Native Americans wiped out all horses on the planet?" In other words, I thought you were being a dick.

If you really didn't know human hunters was one of the theories surrounding why horses in America went extinct, then I apologize.

Very interesting link. I love a post that goes into nomenclature detail.
>.>

Recusant

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Sector N after curfew
Though a longish read, I think the article below will help understanding current thinking about the extinction of horses in North America. TLDR: Scientists have not found a conclusive answer; it may have been purely due to climate change and associated changes in vegetation, or human hunting may have helped.

"Why did horses die out in North America?" | Horsetalk

So was it climate change and a resulting change in vegetation that drove horses to extinction? With evidence that changes in grass resulted in the extinction of roughly half of North America’s equine species six million years ago, is it not reasonable to assume that a similar vegetative change some 10,000 to 12,000 years ago could not have done the same thing?

The weight of evidence still rests in this camp, but totally dismissing the role of over-hunting is no longer so easy.

Not so long ago, there was no evidence of an overlap between North American horse extinction and the arrival of humans, let alone evidence of their hunting horses.

Then, findings indicated an overlap of perhaps a few hundred years. Latest research suggests at least one pocket of horses in Alaska persisting until some 7600 years ago, creating a potential overlap of some 6000 years.

However, the undoubted regional variations in horse extinction and limited knowledge about the geographical spread and numbers of the earliest human inhabitants of North America further clouds the picture.

There is now clear evidence that mankind hunted North American horses but were they doing so in numbers that made a difference? It is a question that may never be answered.

[Continued . . .]

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
Without trying to cite sources, I recall reading that the current North American Bison species is a relative newcomer. It arrived after the ice melted enough for them to move down from Alaska/NE Asia. There was a now extinct larger bison species in North America south of the ice when the Clovis culture, etc. was there.

Status
Closed