Why Britain never produced legendary conqueror/military commander in history?

Feb 2015
France
Don't you find it strange that Britain which had the biggest empire in history never produced any legendary conquerors or military commanders?

For example: France had Napoleon, Italy had Ceaser, Greece had Alexander, Germany had Hitler...etc. But in case of Britain there's nothing.

Even most famous British monarchs are women? Elizabeth, Victoria etc... Kinda weird.

Feb 2015
Belgrade,Serbia
As for military commanders and leaders Horatio Nelson,Montgomery,Churchill,Richard the Lionheart...The list goes on.But i partly agree on that considering that their "focus" was navy which was crucial for their status as a colonial power.

Aug 2011
Texas
They didn't? I guess it is because their conquerors were based from within the British military rather than from an absolutist monarchy. The first three that come to mind:

Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
Major General Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive
Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Don't you find it strange that Britain which had the biggest empire in history never produced any legendary conquerors or military commanders?.
Until the First World War Britain never had a large army, it's strength and power was based on its navy.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Charles Gordon
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_George_Gordon]Charles George Gordon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Nov 2008
England
I`m surprised no one has mentioned "Corporal John", as the Duke of Marlborough was affectionately called by his soldiers. He was a great strategist and tactician, and he also had that rare ability to see war as a whole, understanding the importance of both land warfare and sea warfare and relating them together. In addition he possessed great diplomatic skills. I would rate him as one of the top five.

Similar History Discussions