Why can't the East Asian countries learn from Europe?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Many in China, Korea and Japan still resent each other due to strong history of war and bloodshed. Kind of like the many European powers. Yet they have learned to work with each other. Why not follow the Europeans lead and wash away centuries of antagonism.
Like... the Balkans, Poland & Russia, etc? One might argue that these aren't good lessons to learn.

Dec 2015
USA
I it really true..one poll was saying that 90% of China dislikes Japan and its pretty much the same vs versa. Also North Korea Vs South Korea. Also their is the rivalry between many Indians and Pakistanis.

Though their is great comradely among Bangladeshis and Chinese apparently if we are to believe this poll ,

How Asians View Each Other | Pew Research Center

Now another thing to consider is not all polls are accurate and could be manipulated for numerous reasons. Truly does the average Pakistani and average Indian dislike each other...I wont buy it otherwise both countries would be in flames.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
I it really true..one poll was saying that 90% of China dislikes Japan and its pretty much the same vs versa.
a false claim.
japan was one of the top hottest and wanted tourists' destination since 90s, and it is still not changed.

chinese dislike the recent several japanese gov for their misbehavior on putting the WWII responsibilities upon china, and chinese dislike this disease spreading to the private sectors. but generally, there is no such thing as 90% of china dislike japan.
i don't know about the "versa"

Dec 2011
A lot of this is simply political rhetoric. Each of the three governments uses the other two to display its own unity and strength by attacking rhetorically when it is deemed necessary. It doesn't really matter what the majority of people in each country actually think as long as the reported, i.e. engineered tensions allow governmental self-aggrandizement.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
A lot of this is simply political rhetoric. Each of the three governments uses the other two to display its own unity and strength by attacking rhetorically when it is deemed necessary. It doesn't really matter what the majority of people in each country actually think as long as the reported, i.e. engineered tensions allow governmental self-aggrandizement.
let us face the hidden fact, there is no self-aggrandizement in china.
for example, every time after japanese gov makes some claims, the so name stated owned medias (in the western sense) would make reports how should chinese politely treat japanese citizens in china, and how should we not generalize the criticizing from the japanese gov to the japanese citizen. and street office will text us or somehow, not to violently treat japanese, no matter what japanese gov said again on WWII.

the other two.... i cannot read their languages, though japanese news can be roughly read via guessing. japanese news title appear to be eye attractive, and it sometimes contain very high tech materials, such as high resolution camera photograph during the flight of fighter planes.

Last edited:
Dec 2011
let us face the hidden fact, there is no self-aggrandizement in china.
for example, every time after japanese gov makes some claims, the so name stated owned medias (in the western sense) would make reports how should chinese politely treat japanese citizens in china, and how should we not generalize the criticizing from the japanese gov to the japanese citizen. and street office will text us or somehow, not to violently treat japanese, no matter what japanese gov said again on WWII.

the other two.... i cannot read their languages, though japanese news can be roughly read via guessing. japanese news title appear to be eye attractive, and it sometimes contain very high tech materials, such as high resolution camera photograph during the flight of fighter planes.
I was specifically not talking about the popular reaction to news like you described, but about self-aggrandizement of governments. The Korean and Chinese governments do use the past to portray themselves as the moral superiors of Japan, for example. This is a game played on the highest diplomatic level, and the audiences of that are primarily the diplomatic and political elites across Asia and, indeed, the entire world. If your street offices tell you that you shouldn't react violently to news, this supports my argument that the average Joe does not play an awfully important role here, and more so, that this is not primarily about ideology and/or legitimate grievance.