Why can't the East Asian countries learn from Europe?

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
I was specifically not talking about the popular reaction to news like you described, but about self-aggrandizement of governments. The Korean and Chinese governments do use the past to portray themselves as the moral superiors of Japan, for example. This is a game played on the highest diplomatic level, and the audiences of that are primarily the diplomatic and political elites across Asia and, indeed, the entire world. If your street offices tell you that you shouldn't react violently to news, this supports my argument that the average Joe does not play an awfully important role here, and more so, that this is not primarily about ideology and/or legitimate grievance.
i don't quite understand the logic here......... but let me just agree you have disagreement

but i don't think chinese gov portrays to be moral superior than japanese gov.
i mean....seriously...it needs to? when japan criticizing the conform woman and when its high level officials deny the nanjing massacre (though not yet on the highest level)........

Jul 2012
Dhaka
Distrust.

The USA binds the western European nations together, at least since WWII (thru' Marshall Plan, NATO etc.). For example, had it not been for US presence/influence, Europeans would be still wary of Germany. There isn't any such Asian equivalent.

Apr 2012
India
Now another thing to consider is not all polls are accurate and could be manipulated for numerous reasons. Truly does the average Pakistani and average Indian dislike each other...I wont buy it otherwise both countries would be in flames.
India and Pakistan already have an ongoing shooting war.What is there not to buy?

Even without war, dislike is quite strong. Pakistan dream themselves of being descendants of Arabs,Persians,or Turks; while we see them as descendants of weak characterless people,whose grandmother spread her legs for a bunch of coins,or whose grandfather converted under Sword.Subcontinental Muslims evoke a sense of disgust in subcontinental non Muslims -from Hindus because they consider Muslims to be descendant of characterless inferior people,from Sikhs because Muslims killed their gurus,from Christians because their pastor told them that Muslims are enemy of Christian civilization.

Last edited:
Sep 2018
America
What exactly does East Asia have to learn from Europe in the modern context? The importation of instability and poverty through unchecked immigration? Or the complete lack of fiscal responsibility or accountability, leading to economic ruin?

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
What exactly does East Asia have to learn from Europe in the modern context? The importation of instability and poverty through unchecked immigration? Or the complete lack of fiscal responsibility or accountability, leading to economic ruin?
Are really Western countries so unstable and poverty so ripe because of immigration? Are Western countries really worse when it comes to complete lack of fiscal responsibility or accountability when compared to countries such as South Korea, China and Japan?

Jun 2012
Malaysia
It's no such big deal, I reckon. Not on the same scale as sometimes it is being made out to be. You still get about the same kind of things between Britain, France & Germany, for instance. Sibling rivalry, I wud call it. Only the tensions are, well, much less palpable.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Distrust.

The USA binds the western European nations together, at least since WWII (thru' Marshall Plan, NATO etc.). For example, had it not been for US presence/influence, Europeans would be still wary of Germany. There isn't any such Asian equivalent.
I'm more inclined to think that this is mostly only US propaganda. As I hv read somewhere before, more than once too, the main purpose of NATO vis-a-vis Western Europe is to keep America in, Russia out, and Germany under.

Aug 2009
Londinium
Distrust.

Europeans are still wary of German power (/influence), have been since circ. 1870.

Similar History Discussions