Why can't the US build basic rail?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I've often wondered if the greens understand the power requirement of one hundred commuter train at 7.AM.
full of people keen to get to work
.........bicycle anyone ? the Chinese would roll over laughing

Nov 2019
United States
I've often wondered if the greens understand the power requirement of one hundred commuter train at 7.AM.
full of people keen to get to work
.........bicycle anyone ? the Chinese would roll over laughing
Just to give you insight to the lack of information to accurately understand China today ... I know of a company encouraged to build cold storage in China, that plan collapsed when they discovered that the Chinese would shut off the power at night. That doesn't work for cold storage.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I was quite surprised that rail transport in US didn't switch to electrified track to control pollution and cost cost. Unlike their European counterpart.
When will people realize that the majority of Americans (outside of the Northeast Corridor) don’t want and don’t care about rail travel. Distances are too great and we have a highly developed air travel system and a huge Interstate Highway system. Amtrak exists, but outside of the Northeast, it is not used very much.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I think self driving cars will eventually replace passenger trains (but not subways) and short hop air connections. Owning your own car will be a luxury and used just for fun on auto ranches. Anyone can call a car to their door and go anywhere roads can take the them
I don’t believe this.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Quite the tragedy, ain't it !?

People's definition of discrimination in the USA is somewhere between "real" and "I did not get it therefore it is discrimination" , almost always it is closer to the latter than the former.
Speaking of France, people needing more than one system to commute during their workday have to pray to whatever gods they worship that the "oppressed", "mistreated" , and "hardworking" workers are not striking on any of the systems they use, oh yes, they have it so hard, they barely feel like talking to you from behind their windows or even address whatever issue you are asking them about.
Speak to them in their language and you won’t have this problem.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Quite the tragedy, ain't it !?

People's definition of discrimination in the USA is somewhere between "real" and "I did not get it therefore it is discrimination" , almost always it is closer to the latter than the former.
Speaking of France, people needing more than one system to commute during their workday have to pray to whatever gods they worship that the "oppressed", "mistreated" , and "hardworking" workers are not striking on any of the systems they use, oh yes, they have it so hard, they barely feel like talking to you from behind their windows or even address whatever issue you are asking them about.
Speak to them in their language and you won’t have this problem.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
This is a great American mystery from an European perspective: here all railways are electrified [so "green"] and they generate great profits.

Thinking to Italy and noting that high speed trains have become competitors with planes between Rome and Milan, I can imagine that the lobby of the airlines companies has "persuaded" American politicians not to endorse the development of high speed railways.

Nov 2019
United States
This is a great American mystery from an European perspective: here all railways are electrified [so "green"] and they generate great profits.

Thinking to Italy and noting that high speed trains have become competitors with planes between Rome and Milan, I can imagine that the lobby of the airlines companies has "persuaded" American politicians not to endorse the development of high speed railways.
"According to the latest Eurostat data , in terms of gross final energy consumption ([2]), the proportion of energy from renewable sources rose to almost 17 % in 2015, from 9 % in 2005. "
"In 2015, nuclear energy generated 26.5 % of electricity in the EU and it remains one of the largest generators of electricity after fossil fuels and renewables."
This means that fossil fuels (primarily natural gas) represent 50% of EU electricity generation, despite massive investment in "green" sources. And this neglects the fact that due to the variability of green source production, fossil fuel sources are required to backfill that 17% regularly.
Our studies show that green sources are extremely expensive per megawatt of production, and due to rare metals and lithium used in the construction of such equipment represent as great of a threat to the environment as fossil fuels.

In the end natural gas, and nuclear power are far cleaner sources, and much more productive per megawatt of energy produced.