Why can't the US build basic rail?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
God, a friend of mine was stuck on a train for two hours without being told why they were delayed and what was going on. The stupid thing was, they were just outside a station. They could have got off the train and walked to the station, and carried on their journey, but the train staff wouldn't let them off due to "health and safety" reasons.
You are indeed not allowed to walk near a railway track and they are not allowed to let you out, unless they have permission from the railway security board and have safety profs to walk with them. I believe the whole area needs to be blocked as well.
What they do here is send a loc that tows or pushes the train to the nearest station. Much quicker than waiting for permission and certainly when near a station.
If there is a two minute delay on a Japanese train, you'd get a very apologetic announcement telling you why there is a delay and regular updates.
I am surprised they don't commit seppuku over such a big failure ;)
You wouldn't think it was so hard for British train companies to do the same.
It is a mindset. Here there was a lot of resistance to doing that as well, but once they did the reactions were totally opposite from what they feared.
It is the same in Belgium. Apparently it is a privilege that they are able to transport you from Brussel to Antwerpen, so you shouldn't pester them with question like "is there any train going?".

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
God, a friend of mine was stuck on a train for two hours without being told why they were delayed and what was going on. The stupid thing was, they were just outside a station. They could have got off the train and walked to the station, and carried on their journey, but the train staff wouldn't let them off due to "health and safety" reasons.
FTFY.

God, a friend of mine was stuck on a train plane for two three hours without being told why they were delayed and what was going on. The stupid thing was, they were just outside a station the terminal. They could have got off the train plane and walked to the station terminal, and carried on their journey waited in relative comfort, but the train airline staff wouldn't let them off due to "health and safety" reasons.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
FTFY.

God, a friend of mine was stuck on a train plane for two three hours without being told why they were delayed and what was going on. The stupid thing was, they were just outside a station the terminal. They could have got off the train plane and walked to the station terminal, and carried on their journey waited in relative comfort, but the train airline staff wouldn't let them off due to "health and safety" reasons.
I had an exploded engine just after take-off, which I had to read afterwards in the paper. Worst part was that we had to get off the plane and then wait in the area past the border controls. A nightmare for a chain smoker as there is no sports bar there.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA

As a recent "no-longer-smoker" I know what you mean.

But on the bright side, you didn't have to sit inside the plane for hours.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I know the report. Holland is "screwed" with this metrics as they work against having a metro-like system (short distances with many people) and the prices are high (and should be lower imo). Ie the heaviest traveled route Amsterdam-Utrecht (6 trains an hour) takes only half an hour. Whereas such idiotic distances as in Sweden or Norway are really good for these stats (little risk of accidents, few connections, long distances which allow for "speeding"). I will also try to look up how service outage is dealt with. Ie when we have a lot of snow expected we go on "winter" schedule, which means that trains get taken off the schedule.

Though the Swiss (the Danish one I know little about) also do have a very good rail network and are overall I think better. They also have less suicides (here there are 2 notorious tracks, which an engine driver would like to avoid as they are near a nuthouse).

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
I know the report. Holland is "screwed" with this metrics as they work against having a metro-like system (short distances with many people) and the prices are high (and should be lower imo).

Ie the heaviest traveled route Amsterdam-Utrecht (6 trains an hour) takes only half an hour. Whereas such idiotic distances as in Sweden or Norway are really good for these stats (little risk of accidents, few connections, long distances which allow for "speeding"). I will also try to look up how service outage is dealt with. Ie when we have a lot of snow expected we go on "winter" schedule, which means that trains get taken off the schedule.

Though the Swiss (the Danish one I know little about) also do have a very good rail network and are overall I think better. They also have less suicides (here there are 2 notorious tracks, which an engine driver would like to avoid as they are near a nuthouse).
Do these 2 Tracks involve Zandvoort and Haarlem by any chance ?

I still have an inexplicable experience Amsterdam-Zandvoort on a Sunday.

The morning train came but said "rijd niet" or something then the evening one showed up delayed, stayed in station for 20 minutes, left the station and halted after like 10 Minutes, then we were all offloaded a couple of stops before Centraal.

Though to be honest, I liked the M52 it was always empty when I used it no matter when.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Do these 2 Tracks involve Zandvoort and Haarlem by any chance ?

I still have an inexplicable experience Amsterdam-Zandvoort on a Sunday.

The morning train came but said "rijd niet" or something then the evening one showed up delayed, stayed in station for 20 minutes, left the station and halted after like 10 Minutes, then we were all offloaded a couple of stops before Centraal.

Though to be honest, I liked the M52 it was always empty when I used it no matter when.
That track is a problem for other reasons. Afaik it is the oldest in the sense that the rails havent been replaced (which is a problem since you either block the whole north of North-Holland or block off Haarlem). Plus in summer that train is often full with drunken Brits who delay departure, but i doubt that caused the delay.

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
That track is a problem for other reasons. Afaik it is the oldest in the sense that the rails havent been replaced (which is a problem since you either block the whole north of North-Holland or block off Haarlem). Plus in summer that train is often full with drunken Brits who delay departure, but i doubt that caused the delay.
I did not see any Brits that day and I am glad now after seeing them in Paris.

I loved my experience in the trains though, it felt intuitive & easy to navigate without assistance; I appreciated the ease of transfers.

Similar History Discussions