Why can't the US build basic rail?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I did not see any Brits that day and I am glad now after seeing them in Paris.
And all of a sudden you see why the Dutch resisted the Brits;)
I loved my experience in the trains though, it felt intuitive & easy to navigate without assistance; I appreciated the ease of transfers.
As it should be. Btw you prolly traveled less than in NYC with the metro

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
And all of a sudden you see why the Dutch resisted the Brits;)
I actually understand the French as well :D

I still remember tourists in zaanse schans asking me for rail advice and me giving them directions, made me feel like I did my homework :lol:

As it should be. Btw you prolly traveled less than in NYC with the metro
NYC subway is horrible, you walk half a mile to transfer underground, seeing the Paris metro having a similar issue, I just looked for straight lines instead of transferring, at least do the walking Above ground.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands

I still remember tourists in zaanse schans asking me for rail advice and me giving them directions, made me feel like I did my homework :lol:
Not sure if this is a saying in English, but we here say "In the land of the blind, One-eye is king" ;)
NYC subway is horrible, you walk half a mile to transfer underground, seeing the Paris metro having a similar issue, I just looked for straight lines instead of transferring, at least do the walking Above ground.
In never understood that either.
On the other hand taking a cab in Paris can be the thrill of a lifetime. Never knew you could take the roundabout at the Arc almost straight.

Oct 2012

Just avoid Chatelet, and you`ll be fine.

Nov 2012
Seattle
Actually, I like trains. And I can not imagine why everywhere else there are lightrails and US does not have just a merely decent train system.

I don't even understand why Seattle does not have a subway (they say, a seismogenic zone). Yet Tokyo is an ultra-seismogenic zone and it has a great subway system.

Heck, all the floor of the Pacific Ocean is one big ring of fire. And yet, Singapore has a great subway system, Malaysia has a great subway system, and we can't build anything.

I mean, go to the Florida Keys. There still are remainders of Flagler's East Coast Railway. If he could do it in 1912, basically in the ocean, why can't we just build a train system in 2019?

Jul 2015
Netherlands
Actually, I like trains. And I can not imagine why everywhere else there are lightrails and US does not have just a merely decent train system.
Hey, you guys have that monorail ;)
I don't even understand why Seattle does not have a subway (they say, a seismogenic zone). Yet Tokyo is an ultra-seismogenic zone and it has a great subway system.
I think for Seattle another concern is the ground itself. It is kind of watery and unstable.
Heck, all the floor of the Pacific Ocean is one big ring of fire. And yet, Singapore has a great subway system, Malaysia has a great subway system, and we can't build anything.
Here in Amsterdam they just finished a subway addition. Huge budget and time overruns. And since I don't hear much about it I suspect it isn't a big success.
I mean, go to the Florida Keys. There still are remainders of Flagler's East Coast Railway. If he could do it in 1912, basically in the ocean, why can't we just build a train system in 2019?
The way I see it with my limited knowledge of the US urban structures is that the city centers are not really the economic or urban centers (it is a bit different on the other coast). So you could build a railroad from Seattle center to Tacoma, but you would need to add all kinds of stops in order for it to be remotely usable. Ie a lot of potential customers live in areas such as Bellevue and not so much at the pike place fish market. At the other coast the railroads and subways were built when they were the real centers.

PS I like trains too. Though I liked the Duck ride in Seattle even better.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA

Flagler’s train failed. Passenger rail is, in most places, uncompetitive with planes and automobiles.

Similar History Discussions