Why did america declare war on Japan

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA
So, why do you think - in your opinion - the Americans were so infuriated with the Japanese about the occupation of French Indochina? If I were Roosevelt, I wouldn't be:

A) France no longer existed, having been gobbled up by the Nazi machine
B) It's a faraway country that does not affect the US in any way (until the French leave in 1954)
A.
1. Vichy France wasn't recognized as legitimate, therefore the French gov't in exile along with Free French forces were recognized. France still exists.
2. Even though Indochina was a Vichy held colony, it would still be seen as French.

B.
1. France has affected the US many times before 1954.
2. France has several colonies (French Guiana, St. Pierre & Miquelon, Martinque, St. Eustatius, Martinque, and Guadelope) near the United States that would be alarming if Germany occupied. Not exactly far away. Plus there's French possessions in the Pacific close to Hawaii.

Jul 2014
United Kingdom
I don't understand several things, however.

THE DUTCH WERE OVERRUN BY GERMANY. You cannot have an ally that does not exist, as difficult as that concept may seem to Roosevelt.

If the US did not antagonise Japan, then would there have been a war? My gut says no, so no need to worry about their war making capabilities.

However, since you're the authority on the period, let's hear what you have to say.

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
We did send an Ambassador to Vichy France, which presumably means we recognized it. The British didn't recognize Vichy, IIRC, and finally got stuck with DeGaulle to represent the FFI.

OpanaPointer

Ad Honoris
Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.

THE DUTCH WERE OVERRUN BY GERMANY. You cannot have an ally that does not exist, as difficult as that concept may seem to Roosevelt.
The Queen had evacuated to England. The "custody" was unbroken.
If the US did not antagonise Japan, then would there have been a war? My gut says no, so no need to worry about their war making capabilities.
Japan wanted the US to disavow the Chiang government, give the Japanese all the warmaking materials they wanted, and not interfere in their efforts to gain autarky in East Asia. We antagonized them by not doing this.
However, since you're the authority on the period, let's hear what you have to say.
Any more questions, because it's late here.

EmperorTigerstar

Ad Honorem
Jun 2013
USA

The Dutch still had control of colonies. If a country occupied all of the United States except for Hawaii, you can't say that the US still doesn't exist. Heck, this situation would be exactly like the Republic of China / Taiwan. A country that clearly exists.

Jul 2014
United Kingdom
Although the primary difference there is that the DEI were a colony, not an integrated part of Holland. Hawaii is a US state, and Taiwan is technically a province of China. A lot of emotional investment could be and was put into colonies, but it still wasn't the same thing.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
Facism = An Italian political movement, founded by Benito Mussolini, that spread even to America and Britain.

Nazism = Adolf Hitler's unique brand of Fascism, which involved systematically torturing and killing all Jews.
So two types of the same thing then. The point still stands though, that some parts of British society were extremely receptive to extreme right wing ideologies, regardless of what they were called. Your 'oil and water' analogy just doesn't work.

BTW Mussolini didn't found fascism, it developed out of National Syndicalism in the first decade of the 20th century, becoming a seperate ideology in WW1.

Nazism wasn't Hitler's idea either, it was developed from various German workers parties and their anti communist, nationalist agendas.

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
I counted for the number of posts not about Pearl Harbor, the American embargo, or Japanese aggression in East Asia. Out of those, here are the number of posts from myself, you, and Naomossa. These numbers INCLUDE responses to your past insults and off-topic posts from us to make it fair.

EmperorTigerstar - 36
Naomossa258 - 8
British Prime Minister - 81
From other users - 67

To be fair, let's assume each person can have a + or - two posts since off topic could be relative or I could have somehow (doubtfully) miscounted. By these numbers, you make 81/192 of the off topic posts which makes about 42%. If you remove the posts in which we are merely responding to your ad hominem insults or off topic rants, then my numbers go down and Naomossa would practically be off the list. So diddy is not being biased when you are clearly the major off-topic user in this thread.
That's some first rate number crunching right there, good work fella!.

You get the Historum Shiny Medal for Relevant Stats (second class).

And, just so this post stays on topic, does anyone know what medals were awarded (either side) for the Pearl Harbor action?

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
Davidius, you really need to move on from that..
I felt it important to rectify your ignorance.

Oh, and because some of us have to work for a living and cannot spend 24/7 online, there are often long delays between post and response. I was responding to your last reply to me, if it wasn't fast enough to satisfy you that's just tough.

If you will post on this thread, please post about Pearl Harbor instead of trying to evade, obfuscate, and derail.
This from the person who used the thread to boast about his 250th post just recently. Your hypocrisy is what derails this thread.

And since you are not the arbiter of appropriate content I will ignore your patronising request.

Jul 2014
United Kingdom
So you're telling me you're going to post off topic and deliberately derail Historum just to spite another user with whose viewpoints you disagree.

Not a very good Internet ethic.

To go back on topic, however, the Congressional Medal of Honor was awarded to the following Americans who were at Pearl Harbor on 7 December:

Mervyn Sharp Bennion
John William Finn
Francis C. Flaherty
Samuel Glenn Fuqua
Edwin Joseph Hill
Herbert Charpoit Jones
Isaac Campbell Kidd
Jackson Charles Pharris
Thomas James Reeves
Donald Kirby Ross
Robert R. Scott
Peter Tomich