Why did ancient egypt leave so little impact on the west?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Did it matter to them?
That was the point: We don't rightly know exactly how they parsed identities and groupings of human. We know they did, and who was a "dirty Asiatic" and the like of course.

Except IF something like skin colour had been anywhere near as important to them as it became in modern times, then it seems safe to assume it would have been all over the records and we wouldn't be in any doubt whatsoever.

So, on balance: No.

Aug 2018
America
Why does their skin colour matter at all?
I agree it shouldn't matter except for accuracy (it's simply inaccurate to say that Egyptians were "light-skinned" when in fact there was a combination, even if the north was more light skinned than the south), but the problem is that Egypt continues to be used to denigrate Africans. I for one do agree that Egypt isn't "African" and I'm of the opinion Africans should cease their obsession with Egypt which is largely an European colonial obsession. Bantu civilisation is greater in my opinion. But I do understand where some Africans are coming from. You watch Hollywood films like Exodus: Gods and Kings or Gods of Egypt, let alone classic films like the Ten Commandments or The Egyptian and you come with the sense that all civilisation or high culture has always been "European" or "White" even when located in (northern) Africa.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
I agree it shouldn't matter except for accuracy (it's simply inaccurate to say that Egyptians were "light-skinned" when in fact there was a combination, even if the north was more light skinned than the south), but the problem is that Egypt continues to be used to denigrate Africans. I for one do agree that Egypt isn't "African" and I'm of the opinion Africans should cease their obsession with Egypt which is largely an European colonial obsession. Bantu civilisation is greater in my opinion. But I do understand where some Africans are coming from. You watch Hollywood films like Exodus: Gods and Kings or Gods of Egypt, let alone classic films like the Ten Commandments or The Egyptian and you come with the sense that all civilisation or high culture has always been "European" or "White" even when located in (northern) Africa.
Portrayals in the media typically make the 'good' peoples shown with Caucasian features and supposed cultural tendencies while the 'bad' are shown with stereotypical non-Caucasian descriptions. Far more often the hook-nosed Semetic stereotype but often enough in film or artistic work in N Africa with the most negative stereotypical 'African' descriptions.

Also the blatant whitewashing of several of the Egyptian dynasties surely spurs a tendency to reclaim that part of African history from European centrism but going too far the other way and saying Egypt was exclusively or even mostly Nubian is not correct either. North Africa and particularly the NE corner of the continent has long been a crossroads of migration which produces mixed phenotypes and a blended cultures which often gave rise to specific characteristics based in particular culture but that was taken on by later descendent cultures that had no idea of the origination of that characteristic.

Aug 2019
Topanga California
I think it's obvious they were an advanced civilization when no one else was or open to the possibility, just like anyone who is underappreciated for their achievements in modern time.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Egypt had a huge influence on the world, but it was more a place where everyone went to die and live in the after world. Thus, once you went in, whose to say you could ever leave? Sort of, just speculating.

In any event, 16th century maps show there was a river that connected to the East.

Step pyramids, may not look to related at first, but they may have been influenced architecturally.

View attachment 20114
I'm sorry, what river are you referring to? The Nile? The Euphrates? Both rivers still exist. I don't see a river on that map that can't still be found in North Africa/the Middle East in the 21st century.

Sep 2019
Australia
Western universities do not appreciate newly discovered knowledge. My research proves rack and pinion mechanics was used for Giza Pyramid construction.
My article at Pravda is here ... The Documented Ancient Construction Method of The Great Pyramid
Читайте больше на [advertising removed by moderator]
Follow all links ... study well, comment and share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 2018
America
I think it's obvious they were an advanced civilization when no one else was or open to the possibility, just like anyone who is underappreciated for their achievements in modern time.
That's a notion that many would debate. Polynesians were far better seafarers at that time, Olmecs had better agriculture, the Indus Valley civilisation with its canal and proto-aqueduct works had a far greater geographic extent.

Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Western universities do not appreciate newly discovered knowledge. My research proves rack and pinion mechanics was used for Giza Pyramid construction.
My article at Pravda is here ... The Documented Ancient Construction Method of The Great Pyramid
Читайте больше на [advertising removed by moderator]
Follow all links ... study well, comment and share.
@Paul Hai
you have posted the same link to the same document 3 times in some minutes in 3 different thread. This is a forum where we discuss, we don't limit our participation to self promotion. Take part to the discussions avoiding to invite members to "Follow all links ... study well, comment and share".

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions