Why did East Asian countries never become seafaring and explorer countries like Western European countries did?

Apr 2019
India
Then we might not call it a European trade network either. It was global after all, everyone got dragged in eventually.
Offcourse we should not. Infact there are many intresting bits and pieces that I've came across about European sea-faring but won't disclose them untill I've a reliable source to share with you.
But going by the scanty available information we can assume that it was Indian who were the first explorer of this trade network. Indian products were travelling in both of the directions so it's obvious that Indian people were travelling with them.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2014
Miami
I don’t think any Polynesians will like you for this question ignoring all of their existence. Especially when they discovered New Zealand and Hawaii which are incredible feats for their technology.

Apr 2019
India
I don’t think any Polynesians will like you for this question ignoring all of their existence. Especially when they discovered New Zealand and Hawaii which are incredible feats for their technology.
Nope. Not ignoring anyone at all. Everyone should get proper credit for their contribution. But this observation was only about the trade network.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
The problem with the history of trade in the Indian Ocean is that one of the most important aspects isn't who initiated it, or who contributed the most, but that in the early modern period of history it became the object of a very hostile take-over by European global trade-interests. Trade is also about power. It might benefit all, in some way, eventually, but never really equally.

Feb 2014
Miami
Nope. Not ignoring anyone at all. Everyone should get proper credit for their contribution. But this observation was only about the trade network.
Oh, I aimed at the OP question. And the East Asian traders had no reason to look for new markets. China and India was the market everyone wanted to trade with. Venice failed to get an early Suez Canal with the fall of the Mamelukes to the Ottoman Empire and the Mediterranean nations were locked out of the eastern trade unless they wanted to buy from the Turks or the venetians. They had no choice but to look for a new route. The Europeans did it for greed, not adventure.

The Polynesians were true explorers following the birds

Last edited:

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
China imposed a sea ban, and Japan did the same later.
This was more like a ban on international trading & commerce, as I understand it. But still the Malays & Indonesians, and later on the Chola Tamils, found ingenious ways to get around it.

Goods were no more sold & bought with money. They became 'gifts' & 'counter-gifts' that were exchanged between the Chinese emperor on one hand & the kingdoms of Malaya, Indonesia & Cholamandalam on the other. Same thing continued in a different form.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Oh, I aimed at the OP question. And the East Asian traders had no reason to look for new markets. China and India was the market everyone wanted to trade with. Venice failed to get an early Suez Canal with the fall of the Mamelukes to the Ottoman Empire and the Mediterranean nations were locked out of the eastern trade unless they wanted to buy from the Turks or the venetians. They had no choice but to look for a new route. The Europeans did it for greed, not adventure.

The Polynesians were true explorers following the birds
Venice attempted to make a deal with the Mamelukes to build a Suez Canal in the 1500s?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Same in India. For reason unknown brahmiyns(always fond of self-torture) forbade themselves from crossing sea and rest of the communities followed.
Self-torture?

Are you talking to me here? If so, then Yes, I guess that I might have been too unfair to the Polynesians. However, were the Polynesians anywhere near as good at navigation and mapmaking as Europeans were? In other words, did Polynesians know where various Pacific islands were located and how to go back where they came from?

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Pre-Columbus Europeans didn't know how far westward India was with such great precision either. That was why Columbus & his expedition thought the American continent was 'India' when they arrived there, and they called the natives 'Indians'.