Why Did French (Mostly) Disappear in Louisiana, But Not Quebec

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
No offense, Martin, but don't need to.
So you have invented a "French and Spanish system of corruption"....that not even you know how was....don´t you?

Real example.... Organized Crime and the 1960 presidential elections

So... please don´t make projection... if British or Yankee organized systems of general corruption... iit is not a French or Spanish Lousiana... Have you got evidences? you say to me. Not evidence...

Ok.. so it is a projection from the American Mafia system... Nor the Rey Católico nor the Roi très-Chrétien needed any kinf of "organized crime" to be Kings and ruled Luisiana...

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
The state legislature got rid of the last vestiges of the Code Napoleon a while back.

Major Burke had a system. In state government one had to present a warrant to get funds from the state treasury. During Burke's period in power, if you presented a warrant he would offer to pay 33% of the value of the document "because there was not enough money to pay it"! This was well known in the state. While the Legislature passed bills that gave the Department of Education a similar amount of money that was being spent in Arkansas and Mississippi, the actual outlay was one third of it. While Burke kept the rest of the money, he also spent money among his allies and friends. When the story of his various foibles became national news he was in New York City. After claiming he would go back to Louisiana and straighten up this "misunderstanding", he instead sailed for Honduras which had no extradition treaty with the US! Burke lived until the age of 89, and still had money left!

Pruitt

Interesting Pruitt what you wrote about the North American system of Corruption... +1.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The US system of corruption is more subtle and according to rules and laws. Businesses write the laws they profit from. It has gotten really out of hand with things like the health care system. Usually, it is not like Louisiana where the state Treasurer took like half of the state budget. In former Spanish America there is more blatant graft and embezzlement.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
It wasn't that French and Spanish were suppressed in the US. It was much easier to speak the majority language. The same thing happened to languages and dialects in Europe. It is true that native American languages were purposefully supressed.

It was the Quebec Act, as mentioned earlier. It allowed French language, law, and religion. It also gave Quebec about 6 states of what is now the US, but the American Revolution took care of that. The Catholic Church kept the kind of power it had in the middle ages. It supported the British government, and the two worked together, as in medieval times, not like the relationship in most Catholic countries at the time. They have flui de luis all over the place in Quebec. They identify with Bourbon royal France, which is what the British wanted. The British wanted the Quebecois to support them and not the US or France.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Their speaking French in Quebec made them less favorable to joining the US and harder to integrate into the US. Therefore, it way policy to allow and encourage French.

Similarly, Quebec being strongly Catholic created sharp divides with Puritan New England and official athiest France.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Louisiana wanted a strong head of State Government. The people were used to going to the guy in charge and getting something done. In Texas, for instance, the Lieutenant Governor has more power than the Governor as the LT Gov is head of the Texas Railroad Commission. Among other things, this person sets Oil Prices that travel on the railways. I had to laugh when George Bush ran for President and used his experience as Governor as a plus.

In Louisiana, the Governor has Line Item Veto, where the Gov can remove any spending item out of the budget. It concentrates the mind of Representatives and Senators when money is cut away from their districts! If a Louisiana Governor does not use this power he/she does not play hardball.

Years ago I went to court and got my younger daughter back in a custody fight. She had been on a special program for handicapped children. When my ex-wife ran to Pennsylvania, she lost her spot in the program. I immediately sent a letter to Kathleen Blanco, the Gov, and asked for her help. Mrs Blanco got her back on the program. Mrs Blanco screwed up after this (Katrina) but I have always supported her as she helped me.

Pruitt

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
It wasn't that French and Spanish were suppressed in the US. It was much easier to speak the majority language. The same thing happened to languages and dialects in Europe. It is true that native American languages were purposefully supressed.

It was the Quebec Act, as mentioned earlier. It allowed French language, law, and religion. It also gave Quebec about 6 states of what is now the US, but the American Revolution took care of that. The Catholic Church kept the kind of power it had in the middle ages. It supported the British government, and the two worked together, as in medieval times, not like the relationship in most Catholic countries at the time. They have flui de luis all over the place in Quebec. They identify with Bourbon royal France, which is what the British wanted. The British wanted the Quebecois to support them and not the US or France.
Well, Spanish and French were suppresed in the US after 1865 in the East side... as Today... the "Only English" is a radical movement to suppresed Spanish in territories were Spanish (till 1821).... save in Texas and New Mexico.. where the Spanish language is protected by State laws.
USA wanted to impose English as ONLY langauge to integrate people from so much differente places.... USA will never be an Empire as it was Spain or Austria. After 400 years, Spanish was only spoke by 2% in Philippines. After 300 years... Spanish was only spoke by 15% population in New Spain...1% in Paraguay... 5% in High Peru (today Bolivia). USA imposed and impose a language.

Still I am waiting you say what kind of "French and Spanish corruption system in Lousiana".... I can prove, Lousiana.. a Spanish dominion.... spoke in French... and Florida... A Spanish Dominion from 1513 to 1821... spoke in English... British were only for 20 years (1763 to 1783). During the last 506 years.. Florida has been (by years) 58% Spanish Empire, 37% USA Empire, 4% British Empire and 1% Confederate...

Whilst Florida was Spanish almost 60% time from 1500 to 2019... and British only 4%....English was the languague spoke in Florida from 1763!!!! Because Spain never imposed a language.... others yes.

In Loussiana... French and Spanish were crushed by USA.. as a political goal

English is the major spoken language, due to the enactment of the new constitution in 1921, which banned French from being spoken or learned at school.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
Spanish did not last long in Louisiana. Some Spanish settled in St Bernard Parish and made a living as Fishermen. They were the ones that told the British about the bayous that almost reached the Mississippi. Others settled in St Bernard Parish and others in Plaquemines Parish. The thing is they intermarried with the local French people and they lost the Spanish as time went along. The French settled along the Mississippi and went West from there. The Cajuns settled the Atchafalaya Basin if they did not have the money to buy land. The local French settled along the Mississippi and along the Atchafalaya and up the Red River to Natchitoches. That was the best farm land.

One of my ancestral branches married a Dupuy (French) and produced a dozen children and lived near Coushatta on the Red River. In all, the French settled in about one third of Louisiana. Acadiana runs roughly from Lake Charles to Alexandria and down the Mississippi to New Orleans. New Orleans belongs to its own ethnic groups.

Other areas are the Florida Parishes and Anglo Louisiana. My Mother's family came from North Louisiana.

Pruitt

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Quebec is quite a unique case. Back in the 70s I had several acquaintances who lived in Quebec City. They were all Francophones. We spoke about the frictions between the Anglophone majority and the Francophone minority and also about the reluctance of English-speaking Canadians to bother learning French. Some, of course do but it’s seems a tiny minority. This was after President DeGaulle deliberately (in my view) stirred the pot in Quebec to rile up the Francophone population by making an incendiary and irresponsible speech in Quebec. Several of my French-Canadian acquaintances expressed regret that the Americans lost to the British on the Plains of Abraham. I couldn’t help thinking then, “Be careful what you wish for”.

At the time I was first there, none of my French Canadian friends spoke any English. About thirty years later my wife and I visited the city of Quebec again and the first thing I noticed was that the English language had made inroads even into the city of Quebec. In Montreal this was already the case for many years.

Full disclosure: when I was quite young, my family lived in Edmonton. My guess is that at the time practically no one in that lovely city other than French Canadian settlers actually spoke any French. Certainly I did not.

There seems to be a fairly deep well of hostility in the Anglophone population of the western provinces towards the province of Quebec. This isn’t just wrong, it’s really stupid, and it is really stupid because literally the only thing that makes Canada unique is the fact they have (at least) a large French-speaking population in Quebec and a couple of the most interesting cities in North America. Yes, I know, there have been problems with corruption and the Catholic Church, most of which is in the distant past. The church has little influence in the metropolitan areas today (in the countryside, more).

If the Canadians divest from French Canada, I would suggest that Canada be dissolved and the Anglo provinces just join the US because there will be little difference between English Canada and the US and their uniqueness will be gone for good.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Well, Spanish and French were suppresed in the US after 1865 in the East side... as Today... the "Only English" is a radical movement to suppresed Spanish in territories were Spanish (till 1821).... save in Texas and New Mexico.. where the Spanish language is protected by State laws.
There is NO official language in the US. Anybody can speak whatever they like. There is no such thing as “state protection” on the use of Spanish. In my state of Texas, a huge proportion of the population speaks and understands Spanish but it is not because there are protections on the use of Spanish.

USA wanted to impose English as ONLY langauge to integrate people from so much differente places.... USA will never be an Empire as it was Spain or Austria. After 400 years, Spanish was only spoke by 2% in Philippines. After 300 years... Spanish was only spoke by 15% population in New Spain...1% in Paraguay... 5% in High Peru (today Bolivia). USA imposed and impose a language.
Complete nonsense. English is the language of “common usage” in the US. That’s it.

Still I am waiting you say what kind of "French and Spanish corruption system in Lousiana".... I can prove, Lousiana.. a Spanish dominion.... spoke in French... and Florida... A Spanish Dominion from 1513 to 1821... spoke in English... British were only for 20 years (1763 to 1783). During the last 506 years.. Florida has been (by years) 58% Spanish Empire, 37% USA Empire, 4% British Empire and 1% Confederate...

Whilst Florida was Spanish almost 60% time from 1500 to 2019... and British only 4%....English was the languague spoke in Florida from 1763!!!! Because Spain never imposed a language.... others yes.

In Loussiana... French and Spanish were crushed by USA.. as a political goal.
“Crushed”? Really? Then how come that the legal system in the State of Louisiana is based on Napoleonic Law and not Anglo-Saxon Law?

English is the major spoken language, due to the enactment of the new constitution in 1921, which banned French from being spoken or learned at school. [/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is correct. What “Constitution” are you referring to? I’m not aware of any language restriction in our constitution which dates from 1787, not 1921. You might want to review your assertion. And, you can study any language you like here and there are hundreds of languages spoken here, including Native American languages. The one language that everyone understands here is English.

Last edited: