Why Did French (Mostly) Disappear in Louisiana, But Not Quebec

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
There is NO official language in the US. Anybody can speak whatever they like. There is no such thing as “state protection” on the use of Spanish. In my state of Texas, a huge proportion of the population speaks and understands Spanish but it is not because there are protections on the use of Spanish.

Complete nonsense. English is the language of “common usage” in the US. That’s it.

“Crushed”? Really? Then how come that the legal system in the State of Louisiana is based on Napoleonic Law and not Anglo-Saxon Law?

English is the major spoken language, due to the enactment of the new constitution in 1921, which banned French from being spoken or learned at school.
Not sure if this is correct. What “Constitution” are you referring to? I’m not aware of any language restriction in our constitution which dates from 1787, not 1921. You might want to review your assertion. And, you can study any language you like here and there are hundreds of languages spoken here, including Native American languages. The one language that everyone understands here is English.[/QUOTE]

My dear royal,

Quebec is not an unique case.... Spanish in Texas is as French in Quebec with the difference Texas belonged to the Crown more centuries than Quebec belonged to the French Monarchy. I think English was imposed in school and administration because US goverment wanted a culturally unified country. It is not bad or good.. only a fact.

The Louisiana Constitution of 1921 was adopted in convention June 18, 1921. Not in 1787! Because in1787 as in 1800 Louisiana was a Spanish Seaborne Dominion!...

Only English movement is not equivalent in Canada or in Spain never in history.. A COMPLETE SENSE.... after 400 years.. Spanish was not spoken by population in Philipines or in Paraguay, High Peru etc etc.. and in New Spain the main official language was the Nahuatl, not the Spanish...so we just compare the yankees settlers and the Conquistadores... settlers wanted culturally unified area... Conquistadores didn´t care languages!

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
English is the major spoken language, due to the enactment of the new constitution in 1921, which banned French from being spoken or learned at school.

Not sure if this is correct. What “Constitution” are you referring to? I’m not aware of any language restriction in our constitution which dates from 1787, not 1921. You might want to review your assertion. And, you can study any language you like here and there are hundreds of languages spoken here, including Native American languages. The one language that everyone understands here is English.
Constitution of Louisiana, 1921, Article 12, Section 12: "The general exercises in the public schools shall be conducted in the English language."
Constitution of the State of Louisiana : adopted in convention at the city of Baton Rouge, June 18, 1921 : Louisiana : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego
my answer is plantation slavery.
Louisiana Had plantation slavery and Quebec did not.

As a result, the French speaking population of Louisiana had far MORE different languages being spoken in it than did quebec... Plantation masters and traders had to be able to communicate with the workforce... and over time, the French colonists decendants mixed with the slave population, and the result was a gullah that became the most commonly spoken language of the region... given the percentage of population that were slaves.

This difference was exacerbated by the fact that Quebec primarily traded directly with England and France across the north Atlantic. And so cultural mixing was mostly White european.
Whereas Louisiana traded mostly with the French islands of West indies and Carribean... where, again, Creole was a mix of French, spanish and english speakers, being learned by various Native Africans.

The result was that Proper French far more quickly became adulterated by the sheer numbers of residents speaking other languages.

Today on the Bayou French is still the majority influence on creole culture.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
The "Gullah" spoken in Louisiana is French. Descendants of Louisiana Native Americans also speak French. My ex wife was a Cajun and she spoke French until she went to school. Why? Because her parents spoke it. I remember visiting her Grandfather and his wife. They only spoke French as well, but did not know English.

Because there was a shortage of eligible white females, many white peoples married Free Black women. The rich families would hire Free Black Women to be a concubine for their sons. Now a days many French last named families have a White and Black side. I was a 40 year old student in college before I met White Citizens, Carriers and Celestines.

Pruitt

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Not sure if this is correct. What “Constitution” are you referring to? I’m not aware of any language restriction in our constitution which dates from 1787, not 1921. You might want to review your assertion. And, you can study any language you like here and there are hundreds of languages spoken here, including Native American languages. The one language that everyone understands here is English.
My dear royal,

Quebec is not an unique case.... Spanish in Texas is as French in Quebec with the difference Texas belonged to the Crown more centuries than Quebec belonged to the French Monarchy. I think English was imposed in school and administration because US goverment wanted a culturally unified country. It is not bad or good.. only a fact.

The Louisiana Constitution of 1921 was adopted in convention June 18, 1921. Not in 1787! Because in1787 as in 1800 Louisiana was a Spanish Seaborne Dominion!...

Only English movement is not equivalent in Canada or in Spain never in history.. A COMPLETE SENSE.... after 400 years.. Spanish was not spoken by population in Philipines or in Paraguay, High Peru etc etc.. and in New Spain the main official language was the Nahuatl, not the Spanish...so we just compare the yankees settlers and the Conquistadores... settlers wanted culturally unified area... Conquistadores didn´t care languages![/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. It really doesn’t matter what the Louisiana “constitution” says or not because the US Consrtitution takes precedence over any state constitution. There is no official language in the US.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
My dear royal,

Only English movement is not equivalent in Canada or in Spain never in history.. A COMPLETE SENSE.... after 400 years.. Spanish was not spoken by population in Philipines or in Paraguay, High Peru etc etc.. and in New Spain the main official language was the Nahuatl, not the Spanish...so we just compare the yankees settlers and the Conquistadores... settlers wanted culturally unified area... Conquistadores didn´t care languages!
OK, thanks. It really doesn’t matter what the Louisiana “constitution” says or not because the US Consrtitution takes precedence over any state constitution. There is no official language in the US. English in schools is a language of “common usage” but it is not the official language.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
So you have invented a "French and Spanish system of corruption"....that not even you know how was....don´t you?

Real example.... Organized Crime and the 1960 presidential elections

So... please don´t make projection... if British or Yankee organized systems of general corruption... iit is not a French or Spanish Lousiana... Have you got evidences? you say to me. Not evidence...

Ok.. so it is a projection from the American Mafia system... Nor the Rey Católico nor the Roi très-Chrétien needed any kinf of "organized crime" to be Kings and ruled Luisiana...
The “American Mafia system” is an Italian System, not an American one, though they have prospered here.

Last edited:

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Their speaking French in Quebec made them less favorable to joining the US and harder to integrate into the US. Therefore, it way policy to allow and encourage French.

Similarly, Quebec being strongly Catholic created sharp divides with Puritan New England and official athiest France.
True, however, the Catholic Church in Quebec today is onlynattended by old folks; youth have abandoned it. The Catholic Church was/is quite corrupt.

Sep 2012
Tarkington, Texas
The Mafia was strong in New Orleans from the late 19th Century. When the Police Chief of New Orleans was murdered, rioters broke into the City Jail, grabbed the Italians they could find and lynched them. When my cousin was travelling the country, while his wife was in the Coast Guard, he painted rent houses owned by Charley Marcello (son of Carlos). Charley owned a LOT of rent houses!

Pruitt