Why did Germany wait until 1914 to conclude an alliance with the Ottoman Empire?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
You can think whatever you want , there's a fact and you can't change it . And the fact is Sick man died bravely and honorable . And raised an another country . Gallipoli was one of the most desicive victory on the world history .

Sent from my GM8 go using Tapatalk
As decisive as Gallipoli was, Megiddo was a defeat of equal significance, leading the way to Mr. Picot's and Mr. Sykes' infamous borders.

Reactions: Javert
Sep 2019
Turkey
As decisive as Gallipoli was, Megiddo was a defeat of equal significance, leading the way to Mr. Picot's and Mr. Sykes' infamous borders.
you're right it was a great defeat but thank god it didn't happen . And I congratulate you for your knowledge of the collapse of Ottoman Empire . I always believed most interesting thing about a state is its collapse .

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Sykes picot agreement

President Wilson signed a check that he could not cash regarding an American mandate, as we discussed in another discussion several months back. Of course the "what if" involves the former President's stroke, however, it seems that even if his health were ideal the Senate would not have agreed to a mandate in Anatolia.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Sykes picot agreement

It did happen, didn't it? Or am I missing something here?

President Wilson signed a check that he could not cash regarding an American mandate, as we discussed in another discussion several months back. Of course the "what if" involves the former President's stroke, however, it seems that even if his health were ideal the Senate would not have agreed to a mandate in Anatolia.
Makes one wonder if Charles Evans Hughes would have been more successful in regards to convincing the US Senate in regards to this had he rather than Woodrow Wilson won the US Presidency in 1916 and still subsequently took the US into WWI.

Reactions: Kotromanic

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
It did happen, didn't it? Or am I missing something here?

Makes one wonder if Charles Evans Hughes would have been more successful in regards to convincing the US Senate in regards to this had he rather than Woodrow Wilson won the US Presidency in 1916 and still subsequently took the US into WWI.
There's no President before or since who was as ideological as Wilson. ANYONE else would have dealt more effectively with the Senate.

Apr 2014
New York, U.S.
Why did Germany wait until 1914 to conclude an alliance with the Ottoman Empire as opposed to creating such an alliance much earlier--like it did with Austria-Hungary back in 1879 in the form of the Dual Alliance and with Italy and Romania (both of whom left this alliance after World War I) in the early 1880s (1882 in the form of the Triple Alliance for Italy and 1883 for Romania)? One would think that Germany would have sought all of the allies that it could get after ties between it and Russia deteriorated in the early 1890s, but Germany waited until World War I actually started before actually making an alliance with the Ottoman Empire. What exactly is the reason for this wait? After all, I seem to recall that German Kaiser Wilhelm II already had a good reputation in the Ottoman Empire for a while before the start of World War I--with his 1898 trip to the Holy Land (then in Ottoman territory) being very notable and important. So, why not make an earlier alliance with the Ottomans?

Also, as a side question, does anyone here know if the German Empire ever sought to form an alliance with Japan? I mean, it seems unlikely considering that, in spite of Russia's alliance with France, Germany actually supported Russia in the Russo-Japanese War. That said, though, I was wondering if there is some information that I am unaware of in regards to this. IMHO, Japan would have been a decent ally for Germany due to both countries having tense relations with Russia and being militaristic, conservative monarchies.

Anyway, any thoughts on all of this?
One possibility is the long standing animosity between Russia and the OE that had erupted into warfare. If Germany had an alliance with the OE prior to 1914, any armed conflict between Russia and the OE would force Germany into a war with Russia and her ally France.
However, once WWI did start and Russia was an enemy, then having an alliance with the OE did make sense since this might open another front that the Russian army would have to deal with.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
One possibility is the long standing animosity between Russia and the OE that had erupted into warfare. If Germany had an alliance with the OE prior to 1914, any armed conflict between Russia and the OE would force Germany into a war with Russia and her ally France.
However, once WWI did start and Russia was an enemy, then having an alliance with the OE did make sense since this might open another front that the Russian army would have to deal with.
That's actually a very good point!

Reactions: Kotromanic